FREE certifications, adventure dives, guided dives!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howard4113

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Back by popular demand --
I'm a PADI instructor, and once again I'm going to be on Maui Oct 7-27. I'm always looking to boost my certification counts, so I'm willing to do some OW, AOW and rescue certs free of charge. For OW I'd prefer referrals; however I'm willing to do the complete OW course if you are a confident individual. Although I'm living off-island at the moment, I lived on Maui for 3 years (recently) and did my divemaster and IDC work there + about 200 dives, so I know the popular dive sites well. If you're looking for boat diving I can make all the arrangements - the only requirement is that we do some training dives (PADI adventure dives) on the boat.
As I said, there is no charge for my services (although if you have a good experience a gratuity would be very appreciated but is absolutely NOT required!). You will be responsible for any course materials, equipment rental, and the cost of your certification card.

Visit my web site to see some of my diving experiences:
http://www.maui-mark.com/

PM me if you are interested.

Mark

Here's a hearty recommendation for Mark's services!

If I had family that needed training, he'd be at the top of the list (i.e. above me!). His attention to detail is superb, patience with student divers exceptional, and safety is #1 on his list, with fun being a close #2.

Also, if you have an interest in underwater photography, he knows that specialty area especially well -- I suspect you'll find sufficient proof of that on his site!

Now, if only I were going to be on Maui.

Great offer and I truly wish I could take you up on it. Thanks for showing why I love being a part of the dive community.

How about volunteering your services to shop on Maui..
I am sure that in the Economy of the Islands free classes are not what the people who make their living teaching Scuba on Maui want to see..To get FREE INSTRUCTOR shops would love to have YOU..
Aloha Mark.
Now why would anyone do that? So someone else can make the money off his hard labour?

Seriously... from the instructors that I've spoken with, the good shops are staying plenty busy. The tourist traps are the ones hurtin'.

People whine regularly about the whole "I do this for a living and you want to give it for free" -- ultimately it's the ones that do it for free that seem to be the ones who enjoy it the most, and do it the best. They're also not worried about spending some extra time with a diver to help fine-tune a skill or further an understanding.

If an instructor or shop doesn't like this system, they need to look at their own way of doing things -- i.e. find a way of providing a sufficient value to their services that the student chooses them over the instructor doing it as a "labour of love."

[...]Seriously... from the instructors that I've spoken with, the good shops are staying plenty busy. The tourist traps are the ones hurtin'.[...]

Apparently you're very fortunate on Maui. There are quite a few "good" shops over here on
the Big Island hurting for business, most of whom I would not categorize as "tourist traps".

I know shops are hurting everywhere. I own a mortgage company so I fully understand. I will be in Maui for two weeks starting March 25 (Wedding). I am bring the gear can anyone give me a refference for a shop or boat there?

Mark,

Hey glad to hear you are coming back to Maui! Would love to do some dives with you and get some more great photos! Just passed my IE so if you need a team teacher please let me know. Hope you still have my number and look forward to diving with you again.

Aloha,
Matt

Maui is HURTING just like all Islands including Oahu...
Tourist Traps???? please try and be Supportive of Diving Community..

That's just it -- I am supportive of the diving community. Just not those that are seeking to fleece other divers in the process. Don't worry -- I don't include you in this... $400 for a *private* OWD course on Maui is a pretty killer deal if you can't get it at cost (as long as private means 1-on-1).

I know shops are hurting everywhere. I own a mortgage company so I fully understand. I will be in Maui for two weeks starting March 25 (Wedding). I am bring the gear can anyone give me a refference for a shop or boat there?

What sort of services are you looking for? Are you wanting additional training, guided dives, or just a place to pick up tanks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom