Free diving training.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree.... BE CAREFUL - DON"T DEEP DIVE SOLO!!

I have to say that exploring one's potential should be done very carefully and deliberately. Its always best to take courses and study well. I am a PFD graduate and continue to watch and learn. And one should always dive with a partner....

If you are in Florida, PFD has courses there three or more times a year. Sign up for one. Often first timers make it to 100ft in their first class....

There is some controversy about packing, purging, etc but I studied with the PFD program which is based on freediver physiology studies out of Simon Fraser University and other medical sources. I was taught to breath-up, purge, peak inhale and pack. There are perfectly good reasons and safe reasons for using those techniques. Martin Stepanek just set another world record using those techniques.

Of course, you need to understand gas exchange and imbalances, physics, physiology and psychology of freediving. So does your partner.

And you need to know how to do it correctly, and I wouldn't trust a description on a chatroom to get you down and back safely unless it is simply to warn you to learn from an expert, in person.

So I agree with freediver, be more cautious and careful than you think you need to be. Take our word for it.

And use all your equipment plus a D3 or some other kind of computer.

I wouldn't worry so much about lung squeeze. The minute you start to feel any kind of squeeze you bail out of the dive. Mask squeeze, ear squeeze, sinus/face squeeze, whatever.

If you are saturated and have tolerance training you can go quite long.... after five minutes static, you have enough duration to go beyond 60meters if you calculate carefully. That takes some correct understandings...

and some time with people who know how to do it.

Very good advice taken to heart. As a hyperbaric tech, I understand the physics and physiology very well. The techniques and safety procedures, not so much. Which is exactly why I've stoped pushing at 40m. It seems I've done some of what you've described already, and yes, had the experience of a very slight lung squeeze. I think the hook for me has been the Zen state as you described, lungfish. Once I get in the "mode", it all seems to fall into place.
Unfotunatley I don't have the cabbage to spend on a PFD course. I don't argue the value of taking one, but it is quite alot to invest. For now I will have to settle for shallow water and tollerence training. I really would like to push for longer deeper dives, but as you've both pointed out, diving without proper training and a knowlegable buddy would be foolish.

Thanks for you help!

To put my $0.02 worth, bypass PFD and look at training with Aharon Solomons.. After attending his course - all others seem lacking in thorough and complete information. Aharon is one of Umberto's Apnea Acadamy Instructor graduates and for a man of 67 years of age, who can dive to 60-70 meters, that says more to me than all the commercialized marketing hype that seems to be a part of freediving anymore. I should know - I've taken most of the courses available currently here in the states - save Tanya Streeters course. I am also a Level III IAFD (Now defunct) freedive instructor and as one who is serious about the sport - DON'T obtain your training information from a website - get qualified training from someone who knows what they are doing - and who doesn't have samba's and blackouts during their courses.

Well, I am not sure what you feel is lacking in the PFD course, the training is pretty thorough.... and nobody Samba'd during my class. Four days of instruction in physiology, safety, and open water practices. A number of newbies, myself included made it to 100ft on our first day. This month, our clinic instructor, Martin Stepanek, once again set the world record for constant ballest at 106m. I regularly dive to 60meters myself after a year and a half of training in the PFD program....

I agree that a chat forum is not the place to learn to freedive, though it is a great way to get that message across in a positive way.

Lungfish - Having trained with PFD, Pipin and now Aharon Solomons, I have experienced each style of teaching philosophy. As the single reason why the freediving section even exists on DB, and as a journalilst who asks tough questions, I also feel it's important to call a spade a spade.

PFD also got me to a personal best - but that's all it did - there was no analysis of style ot technique - only canned information that reeks of the scuba industry.

FREEDIVERS went above and beyond anything I have experienced and since I have met with each of these people I have trained with, one can surmise much from first impressions. The CURRENT record holder - Natalia Molchinova - and her son - are protoge's of Aharon. At 67 years of age - he can out dive the so called American Record holder Doc Lopez by a good 10-20 meters - but Aharon isn't about puffing himself up. He is a genuine freediver who loves the sport to the point of removing himself as a tank diving instructor and dedicating himself to PROPER freedive instruction. He works closely with the TOP monofin swimmers in Tompsk, Russia. I have been asked to travel with him to shoot documentary footage for a video project on freediving.

I am sure PFD is a great marketing machine - but take Kirk off to the side and ask him about the number of blackouts and sambas while in Hawaii a couple of years back. (There were at least 2 during my Long Beach Course in 2001) Aharon has a 100% no-blackout or Samba occurrance. That speaks to me of someone who is a safe and competent freedive instructor.

Here's an opportunity to appraise PFD's training, prior to taking a course.

PFD founder Kirk Krack is one of the key speakers at this south Florida seminar in July. If you are also into spearfishing, it will be a must attend seminar!

http://www.longfins.org/seminarexpo.html

I also took the PFD course and highly recommend it.

Chad

Hey Cliff :D

Hey Colin.. wondered when you'd figure out I was here.. :D

Chad - Here's my perspective on your response: Just because Kirk was invited to speak, doesn't necessarily make him the only authority. Also - Kirk is the master of marketing - as clearly evident in his getting exposure on Good Morning America and The Today Show. The challenge I have is that the general dive public thinks he is the only one who teaches - and as such, he's the only one who knows what he is talking about. Also, Kirk has the financial resources to market PFD as a direct result of a major financial backer who was a student during the 2001 Long Beach Course (which I attended).

I have done PFD's advanced Freediver cert, I trained with Pipin and completed my Level III IAFD Freedive Instructor Rating (Instructor #1001), and I have done the Advanced course with Aharon Solomons (FREEDIVERS). I have evaluated each of the teaching methodologies and I can tell you that until those who support PFD have taken other courses by which to make an informed decision, I view the pro-PFD banter with little credibility. I could be wrong and I'm willing to admit it if I am, but so far - I stand firm in my position on this thread.

I bring this up because I want to see freediving become a safe sport. What PFD is doing is great - don't take it the wrong way. But there are other options available - and I have participated in just about every freedive course here in the states - save for Tanya Streeters. The teaching philosophy of FREEDIVERS falls in line with safe freediving with small increments of improvement. View their website at http://www.freedivers.net. If you want to learn monofin - they are the ONLY ones to consider - and since monfin is all the rage in freediving - they know proper teaching methodologies for it - They work with the top monofinners in the world on a regular basis - as far as I know, PFD doesn't. Aharon is also the best Bi-fin instructor I have ever worked with. His technique is virtually perfect - ascribing to the philosophy of a 1% improvement in technique is a 10% improvement in performance, but a 1% performance improvement without technique is just that - a 1% performance improvement (the PFD philosophy). Unless PFD has drastically changed their teaching methodologies, I bet no one will video and analyze your current technique at the beginning and at the end to give input into how to alter said technique for improvement - Unless you're willing to pay a premium price for it.

Aharon has direct connection with legendary freediver, Umberto Pellazari, the founder of Apnea Acadamy, which is the most prestigious freedive instruction facility in the world, and which much of his teaching is based upon. That has more credibility in my view.

I reserve judgement based upon practical experience and not the spin doctoring that is clearly evident by people's PFD assertations.

If you want classes where all you do is freedive - take PFD. If you want someone who will take a genuine interest in your technique, and in addition will show you specific yoga techniques for breathing and flexibility, your personal reasons for freediving, and is himself, a genuine human being, then take the FREEDIVERS course - IMHO, all else is pablum...

Mr. Etzel,

My comment about PFD and the posting of the Spearfishing Seminar link were made in response to my1ocean's interest earlier today. I did not see your post minutes prior to mine, nor would I have responded to it anyway.

You have the right to your opinions, as do I. One of mine is to discount anything stated by anyone who uses discrediting of others as a method of promotion.

Good day.

Chad Carney

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom