Free GoPro Scuba Mount offer from Z GEAR! What's better than FREE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Publicly asking your targeted Market to give you biased reviews, probably isn't the best way to go about launching a new product. What if the user has a teribble experience with the mount? Do you merely want the reviews that will blow smoke up your a** or do you want real user experiences? Even with the correct case, a filter and some lights; the footage from your other post would not have been anything spectacular and very difficult to edit into something worth watching. Hands-free mounts just don't offer the stability of a tray or a pole and realistically, there are very few moments during a recreational dive that your hands should be busy.
I don't think he can dictate a positive review. The guy is giving the thing away for free... I for one, will cut him some slack..

The worm (screw) turns...

As you will recall from above, within minutes of the first posting I PM'd Frank with the words, "looks fun, would love to try it..."

He stated the following:

"Hey Sharkshark, We love your positive response. We would greatly appreciate it if you could post on the original thread your comment. There are some on this forum who are a bit critical and we could use some support.

Just send us your address and we will mail out a mount next week.
Thanks,
Frank"

Following that I did so - my response remains positive (in the general sense) that I welcome the opportunity to try this out and be ojective about it's possibilities. Sure, the video makes it look a bit awkward, but maybe different mounting position, for use as a backup camera, etc., there might be some real benefit. I look forward still for the opportunity to try it out, and give my opinion free from malice or agenda in exchange for the product, the way I do during my day job as a professional film critic.

When asking for a status update (especially given the promise of it being sent out some time ago), I received this PM from Frank. Now, normally I'd not share such messages, but given that I was the one that had wanted to keep things in the private realm, but was asked explicitly to make the comments known in this public side of the forum, I think it's only appropriate to continue along that path.

Frank wrote:

"I have been notified by the moderator that there too many complaints about my promotional products.There are not enough supporters on my behalf to counter all these complaints, although I thought it was a good idea. I guess there wasn't enough positive comments to support having this offer, instead the moderator focused on the majority of the negative complaints and took action. I am not sure what course to take at the moment , or if I will end up being banned from the site if the complaints continue.Lets see what happens, I have to lay low for a while. Perhaps this will get resolved I will try to contact the moderator later."

This, sir, is garbage.

You made a public (and private) promise to send out a product for review to those that responded. I responded, you took down my address, and made a specific indication that your design would be sent out to me for review. Either this is a giant scam, the product doesn't exist, and you're trolling for addresses, or that somehow you're simply adverse to those that are negatively commenting upon your product before they've even used it.

For the latter, I recommend a thicker skin. If it's the former, that this was all a way to generate interest in your product without ever having an intention to live up to what you have publicly and privately written, then I'd think the moderators of this site would be well in their rights to ban you from participating.

As far as I can see it, you should live up to the commitment that you made, and send out the product for review. Despite this silly back-and-forth, I assure to all on this thread that I will give as objective and impartial a review as possible. I shall try the product out in a variety of situations, from pools to open water, over a period of time. Heck, I'll even be happy to monitor the product over the course of an entire dive season.

What I won't be happy with is be to be played as a chump in a silly marketing ploy to get people to visit your site with promises of review products, only to have the offer rescinded for particularly egregious reasons.

Frank, I understand the challenges very much of running a small business, and I'm sure it's not nice to have some "negative" things said before anyone has had a chance to try it. Some words of advice:

Suck it up.

If you want to actually have any of us interested in your product, you should do what you promised, have actual divers, with actual opinions, give it a shot. If at any point these so-called "negative" comments about the products utility didn't come up on the design stage, then I fear that it's even more useless than some have claimed. If, instead, it's a well thought out product, than those of us willing to do work for you for free, presenting our opinions in this very public and very well trafficked site, will provide enough to this community in order for others to make an informed decision.

I ask you publicly to reconsider your rescinding of the offer. If the offer is permanently rescinded, I look forward to working with the moderators to see that such behaviour is not allowed to continue on this site, as it makes the entire community look bad.

I look forward to your own public response on the matter.

You are right, I will try to have a thicker skin about all this.I have already sent some out they should be getting to divers soon. Yours was the only international one in the group, that was packaged but not mailed out yet. I have droped your package off at the post office, this whole thing just kind of threw a curve ball at me, and felt like a got a concusion. My intention was to send these out right away the negativity made me lose focus and I must not let that happen again.

Thanks for your patience.
Frank Garrido

I still like the idea of having people test new ideas and products , like I have said before its good R&D and you never know there might be a great idea to make my filming better and easier . I fully support your ideas and postings . If it may help me I'm open. Being a free country I don't understand why people whine about posting new products/ideas. They are always free to not read them if it bothers them .. Just
my .02

Last edited:
Thank you for reconsidering - as I said, I shall treat this with an open mind.

How do I go about getting one of these? I've checked the website and can't seem to find anyway to order one. I've been using a home made set up like this previously, and this looks like a better option.

Edit: I'm blind :) contact page is also an online order form :)

u can add something to cart but it wont check out lol.. they should fix their website first i guess if theyre trying to sell anything

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Hello bumcikaz and Imprint, Yes we are having issues with Intuit. They have a clitch with Internet 9. So for know you can order from our site but you have to use a different web browser. I do have it posted on the top of the web store and listed it below. I will call them again in the morning,
Internet Explorer 9 will not allow you to order from our store, Intuit is working on the issue. So for now you have to be using IE8 or below or another browser like Google Chrome or Firefox.

[/FONT]​
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I'm very sorry for the inconvenience

Thanks for the reminder, You can also e-mail us and I can send you a PayPal request. Julie
[/FONT]​

---------- Post added April 10th, 2013 at 09:02 AM ----------

The web store is fixed!!!!! You should be able to order from any web browser. Thanks Julie

---------- Post added April 10th, 2013 at 11:02 PM ----------

All the free mounts have been given out at this time, and we want to thank everyone for participating. We hope to see video and review soon!

I received my trial mount from Frank yesterday. I am going to try to use it Sunday. It looks to be well made and solid. How well it works... if it is a PIA to re-aim when I change my body position, is the medium width setting I normally use wide enough to capture a decent amount of the scene without aiming from behind the camera, will the inflator hose pop up and get in the way or make excessive noise from contact with the camera? Well, those are the things we will see...I have a lot of experience with a head mount, it has some advantages, but it is also subject to excessive motion, the bubble stream from time to time etc. It takes a lot of concentration to get a clip longer than 5-6 seconds that does not contain excessive side to side panning. It sounds like several of these negatives associated with a head mount MAY be eliminated with this mounting location... I got a free mount, but it does not buy a positive review. Thanks Frank..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom