Free GoPro Scuba Mount offer from Z GEAR! What's better than FREE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tried the mount out today.. Pretty much a failure. The regulator hose was in the image 50% of the time. The mounting location was relatively stable, but the conflict with the hose over the shoulder and going in and out of the frame is a deal breaker. However, I use a soft woven second stage hose.. miflex or what ever it is called.. It kind rides funny and since it is soft it moves a lot. I had not thought about this problem before, however there are some second stages (with swivels) that are designed to run under the arm.. That would seem to totally address the issue. Maybe I will try some video with my normal second stage routed under the arm in an attempt to accommodate this mounting system. [video=youtube_share;466uh6tkRJQ]http://youtu.be/466uh6tkRJQ[/video]

Last edited:
Placing the hose under the arm could be a good option or placing the mount on the other shoulder. If you think a different angle on the mount or a longer arm would help let me know. I am willing to make adjustments. There were some pretty cool shots of those Bull sharks !!! I am pleased that the filming was relatively steady. Also you were moving quite alot from the excitement and it was still easy viewing. I think this was really constructive and I will use it to refine this mount further.I apreciate the review,and all inputs are welcomed.

Placing the hose under the arm could be a good option or placing the mount on the other shoulder. If you think a different angle on the mount or a longer arm would help let me know. I am willing to make adjustments. There were some pretty cool shots of those Bull sharks !!! I am pleased that the filming was relatively steady. Also you were moving quite alot from the excitement and it was still easy viewing. I think this was really constructive and I will use it to refine this mount further.I apreciate the review,and all inputs are welcomed.
Yeah I freaking hate bullsharks. We saw a few large lemon sharks, but they seemed to move off, so I gave the OK for my 14 yr old son to shoot a jack. He made a bad shot, the fish strated screaming (grunting really) and then multiple bulls show up within 30 seconds. I was yelling for him to kill the fish to stop the grunting and I am sure my head was on a swivel as I tried to protect him and then get a lift bag out and attach it to the fish and send it up.. before the sharks get excited and competitive...I was thinking to put it on the left shoulder, but with the inflator hose there banging around, that area is too busy.

Here is some video from the same dives... most all shot with the hero 3 and a red filter, but added in some of the shoulder mount stuff. If anyone cares... [video=youtube_share;RGu2B0-VFMo]http://youtu.be/RGu2B0-VFMo[/video]

Frank's wife Julie here, I think your footage is amazing dumpsterDiver. I love the clarity of your water and the sea turtle is so beautiful. Now those sharks scare me to death but the rest is very tranquil. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks... I may get to scuba dive this weekend and try a different hose routing. Definitely more stable video than a head mount.

Nic pic's did you recover the spear gun? We mount are gopro to the spear gun, works great! Wish we had great vis like you got, from the pacific northwest.
Thanks for the show

Shot some more video the other weekend. This is from the Hero 2 on the shoulder mount. I didn't do much with editing the video... it is rough and just shows a few different scenes. In some of it, I am scrambling to manipulate a lift bag, so I have a lot of arm and upper body movement that would not be typical of a normal sight seeing diver. Also, I just wore the thing and ignored it. I did not try to aim the camera or hold my body still. I had a camera on my head too (not shown in this video) and I was mostly concerned with getting some video on the head camera..

Also, I am still wearing it on the right shoulder and the primary regulator hose is still an issue, but not so much on this dive for some reason. It was my intent to run the hose under my arm and eliminate any conflict, but the hose was too short for that, it was uncomfortable and impractical, so I abandoned that idea within a few moments.

So far it is the least obtrusive mount I have used, You can pretty much forget about it, but you should check after doing a back roll entry, etc, to confirm that the camera is still in alignment and aimed properly. You can't crank it down super tight because you may want to adjust the angle as you body position changes, so it needs to be loose enough to do that. I don't think I adjusted the angle, nor even checked it for this dive.

My conclusion... it seems like another tool in the Go Pro box of tricks. I really think the regulator hose issue needs to be worked out. Also the mount sticks out off your shoulder (increasing the diver's width), so this would be a hindrance when entering wrecks. The mount seems well built and stable and I didn't even consider using the safety lanyard it comes with.. I could tell it was not necessary for my kind of diving.

[video=youtube_share;DMGBvuCFNV8]http://youtu.be/DMGBvuCFNV8[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom