Freedive on the Corsair/ A few Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love that first picture. It really give you a sense of depth :)

Great pictures, Catherine! So, everything went off all right without a hitch?

NJMike:
catherine, do you have any info about the corsair? Do you know the history behind it or a link to it?

The Corsair was a WWII Fighter Plane that was constructed at Chance Vought (now Vought Corporation) in Grand Prairie, Texas. My dad worked for them when I was born. I'll try to find a link for you.

Corsair

Catherine you amaze me....I bow at your feet.....Can I live with you and have you teach me O great One??? Love the feeling you generate with your artwork...

Great pictures, Catherine! So, everything went off all right without a hitch?

um...no. (what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.)

O great one will share profound lessons in time. :rofl3:

And no more fish chum on my boat. And am warming up to the 02 concept. And here I thought I was so responsible with a dive flag, a ditch bag and extra fuel filters.

The freedivers are good and have their acts together.

All very, very cool pics!

NJMike:
catherine, do you have any info about the corsair? Do you know the history behind it or a link to it? I'd be interested about the pilot's story...if there is one.

Here's some info I gleened off the web before my recent trip:

The pilot of this Corsair ran out of fuel on a training mission in 1946 and ditched his aircraft. Luckily for us it was on a perfectly calm day and had created one of the islands original wrecks. It settled intact in 107 feet of water. The white sand bottom reflects plenty of light in waters that have rarely less than 100 feet of visibility. With the tips of its blades bent back from the impact, the propeller settled into the sand up to its shaft, while the aft landing hook and taxi wheel is still fully exposed, encrusted with a brilliant orange sponge. The port wing is buried almost to the fuselage, but the starboard one remains accessible to the marine community. A large Antler Coral has established itself just behind the open cockpit, with schools of tropicals swimming the oasis amidst an oceanic desert. Green sea turtles, reef sharks and eagle rays also visit this artificial reef for shelter and to seek food. Besides the depth, the main drawback is the strong current that picks up within three hours of the tidal shift.

Wow, awesome pics. Love the first and third ones especially.

I'll get in line here......

the shots left me in awe. very few make me want to right click, these have my image stealin fingers itching

ha ha, steal away.

A freediver calendar? Hmm, great idea. I think I might try that. I'll give you one when I do.

Back
Top Bottom