Fresh Water or Salt water, Cold Water or Warm Water?

Fresh Water? Salt Water? Cold Water? Warm Water?

• Salt Water

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • Fresh Water

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Cold Water

Votes: 43 53.1%
  • Warm Water

Votes: 40 49.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I prefer is salt water, but the majority of my dives are in cold, freshwater.

Salt, hands down.

I like diving in cold, murky water. I like diving dry better than wet. I like the "heavy" gear, the suit, the twin 12 the stage bottles. I like to take some gear with me and make a dive that needs it. I like diving where a light is mandatory equipment. I like winter better than summer. I like seeing -1C on my computer. I like ascents that take 1/2 hour, I like brown-green water. I like the sharpness it brings to my skills, the tightness of buddy contact the precision in buoyancy control, the need for advanced navigation skill, the necessity of "net training", the eye for detail and the feeling that if you're 45 meters under water that you could just as well be on Mars.

The tropics have their own challenges but the cold Northern European waters and especially the North Sea wrecks is for the diver's diver. The North Sea was laid down by God for divers and the people who live on her shores are the chosen ones. That probably sounds like a bunch of "Indiana Jones" B.S. but that's really the feeling I have about local diving. And I came from Canada's British Columbia, which is the only other place on Earth that even comes close.

R..

I like the challenge of fresh water. There are benefits too- I don't rinse my gear, my tanks don't rust (as quickly), and there is nothing in fresh water (around here) that wants to eat me. I suppose that if you get into warmer freshwater areas, that has its own host of parasites and leaches.

Diver0001:
The tropics have their own challenges but the cold Northern European waters and especially the North Sea wrecks is for the diver's diver. The North Sea was laid down by God for divers and the people who live on her shores are the chosen ones. That probably sounds like a bunch of "Indiana Jones" B.S. but that's really the feeling I have about local diving. And I came from Canada's British Columbia, which is the only other place on Earth that even comes close.

R..

Anybody in the mood for a trip to the North Sea? :eyebrow:

DiverEMT:
Just for curiousity sake..which is your preference and/or main stomping ground?

Warm salt water with lots of fish and corals is the only way I like it. The only thing I want cold is the beer that follows the diving. :crafty:

I prefer warm salt water and the beautiful things that live in it, but since cold fresh water is what's nearby, I'll settle for that to keep my skills up for the next tropical trip!
After a few months of drysuit diving, tropical gear is going to feel light as a feather!

Deborah

Back
Top Bottom