Freshwater Quarry Organisms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTodd77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anybody have a good link to a book or website that has info on the various types of organisms one can find while diving freshwater quarries. I've found a couple of strange things that I would like to identify. One is a tiny, spider looking creature with 2 or 3 purple dots on its back....the other is some kinda strange black worm...and the other is a tiny fish that looks something like a tad pole, but I only see the tad pole creature in the cold, dark parts of the quarry. 45 degree water temp, 80 ft, no light and no other living thing, except for this fish that resembles a tad pole.

It would vary by parts of the country you dive in. A good place to start would be your state Ag extension office.

On a side note, I think it would be awesome if we could get some of those South American creatures up here. Freshwater Rays, eels, dolphins, jellies. What an awesome dive to go to a quarry and dive with stingrays!

Actually, I have seen fresh water jellies in a local Wisconsin quarry in November in rather cold water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom