Question From jacket to BP and Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmmm.... I saw that in articles too. So I ask - Would that be a weight distribution issue ? ... OR simply a bit of learning / training with a new type of BC ???????
It wasn't a weight distribution issue, I actually don't use a lot of weight, 5 pounds. I ended up putting it all in the trim pockets so that it wasn't in the 2 front integrated pockets.

It was about the bag placement.

It wasn't a weight distribution issue, I actually don't use a lot of weight, 5 pounds. I ended up putting it all in the trim pockets so that it wasn't in the 2 front integrated pockets.

It was about the bag placement.
Cool. Sounds like I'll have quite the experiment ahead of me. Thanks again

Cool. Sounds like I'll have quite the experiment ahead of me. Thanks again

I think as long as you don't fill the bag up full of air at the surface you'll be ok. I just found the bag always wanted to be on the surface. With jacket style, it's distributed and I can float upright without effort.

Just try different things and see what works for you

👍

Post some pictures of it, BP/ wing is certinly an improvement, and itll
Change your position in the water, make sure it’s a tight fit, you want you and the kit to be one, it shouldn’t be loose.
Most of the issues people seem to have with one-piece harnesses involve having the shoulder straps too tight, not too loose. The waist belt and crotch strap are what lock things in place.

Can’t I just have most of my weight in the back (as well as not overinflate at the surface)?? I believe the steel plate alone is 5-6lbs
Those 2 things (weight distribution, and not trying to float super high in the water) should work out. Some people dive conditions where they really want to be able to float with their whole head and neck out of the water, and those people find BPW unsuitable. As others mentioned, it is all about what works for you. When you get it in hand, make sure the waist strap is snug and the crotch strap doesn't have much slop in it. Shoulder straps can be a little loose. Then try floating with different amounts of air.... many can fully inflate the wing while laying back at a steep angle. I typically put just enough in mine at the surface to put my mouth and nose just out of the water. Play with it and see what works best for you. Aluminum tanks are light and contribute to the "too much weight forward" issues for some, but with a steel plate in fresh water and thin wetsuit, a steel tank may have you overweighted (I use an aluminum plate, steel tank, newer 3mm fullsuit, and 0-2 lb of lead... warm freshwater I wear a shorty for the buoyancy so I'm not over weighted).

Respectfully,

James

it felt sooo much nicer with a BP/W. doesn't ride up like a jacket, actually feels secure on your body. weights can be positioned on the center of your body rather than side pockets.

What James79 said.
The beauty of a BPW system to me is the ability to cutomise it to your type(s) of diving.
You can put the weights on your waist, upper or lower back and fine tune your rig.
The lack of bulk and only one buckle make it so streamlined and simple.

Talked with a diver that experienced the face down at surface, he wasn't using the crotch strap. Whole rig was up by his head. We got him sorted out, strap and weights on lower cam band and he is a happy diver.

Also find the BPW a lot more comfortable and stable on the surface as well, the tank doesn't drop down like it does with my jacket.

Most of the issues people seem to have with one-piece harnesses involve having the should straps too tight, not too loose. The waist belt and crotch strap are what lock things in place.
Pretty sure the only use for a crotch strap is for a DPV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom