Question From jacket to BP and Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oooooh, great point on the shoulder dump !! I’m going to find out about that ASAP !

Don't get a shoulder dump, they're a problem. Stick to basic Hogarthian setup as recommended by others. Since you mentioned you'll be diving in springs a BP/W is ideal as it'll put you in the correct trim.

Get a basic kit or build it yourself. The more "luxurious" a setup looks the more you're buying into marketing and something that you'll eventually change out or throw away. Plastic clips, various extraneous straps, various pads, pockets, shoulder dumps, etc. Failure points and/or junk. Pick a good SS backplate and you'll have it for life. A single piece webbing harness... infinitely adjustable. Forget about weight pockets and other things that newbs learn about in Open Water, but is actually incorrect for proper weighting.

Get basics and get some training. Take a refresher (or whatever else), preferably with an instructor who's a technical diver, so you aren't learning incorrect information. Get to the spring, do a few dives and you'll quickly realize what you'll need next.

Good luck, welcome back and enjoy :wink:

Don't get a shoulder dump, they're a problem. Stick to basic Hogarthian setup as recommended by others. Since you mentioned you'll be diving in springs a BP/W is ideal as it'll put you in the correct trim.

Get a basic kit or build it yourself. The more "luxurious" a setup looks the more you're buying into marketing and something that you'll eventually change out or throw away. Plastic clips, various extraneous straps, various pads, pockets, shoulder dumps, etc. Failure points and/or junk. Pick a good SS backplate and you'll have it for life. A single piece webbing harness... infinitely adjustable. Forget about weight pockets and other things that newbs learn about in Open Water, but is actually incorrect for proper weighting.

Get basics and get some training. Take a refresher (or whatever else), preferably with an instructor who's a technical diver, so you aren't learning incorrect information. Get to the spring, do a few dives and you'll quickly realize what you'll need next.

Good luck, welcome back and enjoy :wink:
I already made this deal (at what I felt was a fair price). I'm going to look at the HOG harness/strap, play around in my pool and go along with my Wife and Sons when they go to get certified (and as my "refresher")

Carrying a heavier piece of equipment doesn't work for me. My days of local freshwater scuba are long behind me (zero interest) and I only dive on vacations now. I need the gear to weigh less and 2 sets of gear don't weigh less than the 50# max per suitcase.

My travel wing and BP for myself and wife are very light. We have the Oxy Ultralite plate which weighs about 6 ounces and we have the very light and excellent VDH wings. There is not a practical BC jacket that is any lighter. And they pack flat in the bottom of the gear bag.

James

One more thing and I will not pester the OP anymore. The crotch strap, IMO, the chest straps and the crotch strap when in the water should have about a fist width under them or at least a hands width. They simply are there to limit motion. I still have an innie tummy so I snug the waist strap down, but innie or outie either way, the waist strap fit is critical. No, you do not need to cinch up the crotch strap. Your rubber suits and all of that will prevent pinching. If that is a concern, some folks find the two inch webbing works better, I prefer the one inch webbing myself and never had an issue I can recall.

James

One more thing and I will not pester the OP anymore. The crotch strap, IMO, the chest straps and the crotch strap when in the water should have about a fist width under them or at least a hands width. They simply are there to limit motion. I still have an innie tummy so I snug the waist strap down, but innie or outie either way, the waist strap fit is critical. No, you do not need to cinch up the crotch strap. Your rubber suits and all of that will prevent pinching. If that is a concern, some folks find the two inch webbing works better, I prefer the one inch webbing myself and never had an issue I can recall.

James
Not taken as "pestering" at all :D... I'm absorbing as much as I can, getting ideas to try and taking it as shared info from divers that are experienced with the BP/W

James
Do you ask your buddy to put his fist in your crotch?…

Do you ask your buddy to put his fist in your crotch?…

I am not sure this is that forum!

You can guestimate :wink:.

And besides, what are buddies for, just make sure it is a good buddy.

You guys kill me :wink:.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom