From NAUI Divemaster to PADI IDC???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious but why are you stuck on being a PADI instructor instead of just an instructor? I would just take the courses that the university offers and then decide which way you want to go. You might like PADI more at that point but you might also like NAUI more. I would worry more about the quality of the courses that you are taking now instead of the agency you might affiliate yourself with later.

No problems with accepting a NAUI DM into a PADI IDC, other than the knowledge gap.

The PADI IDC assumes that all candidates have the skillset taught in PADI DM, some of which won't be covered in the NAUI course - for example, you will need to be proficient with the PADI tables and wheel (now replaced by the eML-RDP), and there are no doubt some OW skills that are taught on PADI courses that aren't taught on the NAUI ones. I don't know the NAUI standards, but an obvious candidate would be the CESA which is not taught by many agencies, but is a skill you must be able to demonstrate at the PADI IDC.

The skills gap isn't a major issue, you just need to spend a little extra time up front. Some PADI IDCs have a two-day "pre-IDC development phase", which could be useful.

No problems with accepting a NAUI DM into a PADI IDC, other than the knowledge gap.

The PADI IDC assumes that all candidates have the skillset taught in PADI DM, some of which won't be covered in the NAUI course - for example, you will need to be proficient with the PADI tables and wheel (now replaced by the eML-RDP), and there are no doubt some OW skills that are taught on PADI courses that aren't taught on the NAUI ones. I don't know the NAUI standards, but an obvious candidate would be the CESA which is not taught by many agencies, but is a skill you must be able to demonstrate at the PADI IDC.

The skills gap isn't a major issue, you just need to spend a little extra time up front. Some PADI IDCs have a two-day "pre-IDC development phase", which could be useful.

What are the skills that are taught in PADI that aren't taught in NAUI? NAUI teaches the CESA or least we did according to my most updated S&P manual.

I think the biggest difference to look at if you are weighing NAUI VS. PADI and I know this is a very touchy subject is the concept of academic freedom. NAUI has a S&P which outlines every skill that must be taught, student teacher ratio's, water hours, classroom hours etc.. They also provide teaching materials which aid in teaching classes. You are however allowed to teach the classes any way you see fit so long as you fulfill the requirements of the S&P. This means that you can go beyond what is required and hold your students to higher standards if you choose to do so. You can follow a recommended modular approach or re-arrange things as you see fit so long as you meet all the requirements. PADI has a more modular approach where the requirements must be met in the same sequence and taught the same way every time.
All that being said I would go with the Course Director and Instructors that I felt would give me the best class available. To me the Instructor makes the biggest difference of all. Both agencies have good and bad points.

P.S CESA is a required NAUI skill taught in the basic Scuba Diver class.

What are the skills that are taught in PADI that aren't taught in NAUI? NAUI teaches the CESA or least we did according to my most updated S&P manual.

With regards NAUI, I don't know the standards (as already stated) so I may actually have it the wrong way round for that particular agency. I'm only know PADI and SDI standards, with a passing familiarity with BSAC and YMCA.

Knowing only a very little about NAUI, it may be that some skills are taught in NAUI that aren't taught in PADI... again possible candidates would be things like ditch and don. Less of an issue, provided you don't make reference to those skills. It's certainly not a criticism of NAUI, and maybe the "skills gap" isn't that significant - but the knowledge gap is very much there. I defy any one to pick up a PADI Wheel for the first time and get the questions in the DM exams right! (This is a negative reflection on the Wheel, not on any particular instructor who is not a PADI instructor - at least the Wheel is on the way out at long last!).

For what it's worth, I think it's just easier to do a NAUI AI/DM course if you want to be a NAUI instructor.... and easier to do a PADI DM course if you are planning to do a PADI IDC. Once qualified as an instructor, it's relatively straightforward to then crossover to the other agency.

and there are no doubt some OW skills that are taught on PADI courses that aren't taught on the NAUI ones.

I just saw the above and thought you might know of some skills that for sure weren't taught by NAUI. I agree though that sticking with one agency when you get to this level would probably be easier since you're already familiar with how it works and things like the wheel.

The biggest drawback will be cost. At the IDC, you are required to own all the materials from OW on up, plus the IDC crewpak. They must be fairly current issues as you use them in the instructional phases of class.

I just saw the above and thought you might know of some skills that for sure weren't taught by NAUI.

Nah, I don't know anything specific about NAUI skills vs. PADI I'm afraid. Just guesses, maybe some skills like snorkel-regulator exchange on the surface maybe? It would be quite interesting (hey, I'm a geek) to compare the skills. Is there any way a non-NAUI instructor can lay their hands on a NAUI manual?

I'm actually a little surprised that NAUI teaches the CESA.... most of the more forward thinking agencies seem to be sloughing in out of the curriculum. It's not even explicit in the RSTC skills list, it's just stated "Out-of-air emergency alternatives, including at least one dependent procedure and one independent procedure".

Nah, I don't know anything specific about NAUI skills vs. PADI I'm afraid. Just guesses, maybe some skills like snorkel-regulator exchange on the surface maybe? It would be quite interesting (hey, I'm a geek) to compare the skills. Is there any way a non-NAUI instructor can lay their hands on a NAUI manual?

I'm actually a little surprised that NAUI teaches the CESA.... most of the more forward thinking agencies seem to be sloughing in out of the curriculum. It's not even explicit in the RSTC skills list, it's just stated "Out-of-air emergency alternatives, including at least one dependent procedure and one independent procedure".

NAUI is not a member of the RSTC, they have turned down membership because NAUI thinks that the RSTC minimum standards are too low. That's what I read a while back on NAUI's site at least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom