FS: Olympus 8080 w/Ikelite housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

likelite

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks, I recently inherited a Nikon D-70 from my husband and have successfully housed it, so I'm going to sell my Olympus 8080 and Ikelite housing. This is a really nice little rig, and I kind of hate to see it go, but I'm mostly going to use the Nikon and it's a shame to let the Olympus sit in the closet when some other diver could be out taking great photos with it. Not to mention I'm paying to insure two whole camera rigs, and it's getting expensive!

Everything included here is in mint condition, with the exception of the wide angle lens, which has a couple of small scratches on the metal around the lens (NOT on the lens itself). My husband is a photo nut so I've learned to take care of my gear, and this stuff has been kept inside in low humidity. It has only been cleaned with professional lens cloths, *not* with t-shirt material or anything else that might scratch the lenses. All the O-rings on the housing have been kept lubricated. The rig itself has only been on two dive trips and has not in any way been exposed to water or other corrosive agents.

All prices listed below are for new gear, which I just looked up on bhphotovideo.com, with the exception of the camera itself, which I couldn't find for some reason.

* Olympus Camedia C-8080 8 Megapixel Wide Zoom Digital Camera, in nearly new condition - it's listed for $999 right now at Amazon.com, but I paid about $700 for this one. The camera uses *both* CompactFlash and SD cards, and takes photos in various JPG formats and Olympus RAW format, which is compatible with most photo-management software.

* WCON-08D, 0.8x Wide Angle Conversion Lens for C-8080 Digital Camera ($117.95) (A couple small scratches on the metal ring surrounding the glass, but no marks at all on the lens itself)

* Olympus FL-20 Electronic Flash for SP series, C5000, C750, C770, C5060, C7070, C8080, E1, E300 & E500 Digital Cameras - $120.99. Runs on AA batteries and comes in a cute little case

* TCON-14D, 1.4x Telephoto Conversion Lens for C-8080 Digital Camera - $124.95 (needs CLA-8 Lens Adapter Tube for C-8080 Digital Camera, $24.95, also included)

* 2 rechargeable batteries, retail $44.95 apiece, plus charger

* 6130.80 Ikelite Underwater Housing for Olympus Camedia C-8080 Zoom Digital Camera - Rated up to 200' - $509.95

The housing works great and is compatible with Ikelite digital strobes and those made by other manufacturers (for which Ikelite makes sync cords - if you already have a strobe, you may want to check ikelite.com to make sure there's a cord for it. It shouldn't be a big deal to change the tray, which screws onto the bottom of the housing - the original tray comes with the housing.) I originally bought the housing with an Ikelite DS-125 strobe, but I'm keeping the strobe and sync cord for my new setup. (I did try this rig once with an Ikelite DS-50 strobe, and it worked great - the 125 may be overkill...)

The housing also comes with two separate ports - a smaller one for use without the wide angle conversion lens, and a larger one for when you want to use the wide angle (mostly I used it on wreck dives). Seems to work fine - if you've ever used an Ikelite you know they don't leak - and comes with a strap wrench for changing the ports.

I have most of the original packaging for the Olympus, including all the manuals, and I think I have some of it for the Ikelite as well (I may have tossed the boxes the housing came in, but you will receive the manual and the other instructional materials for the housing). There's also a camera bag I bought for hauling the camera around, that I'll include if you want it.

OK. So. I paid over $1700 for all this, but I'll sell it for $1100 or best offer. I'll accept Paypal or a personal check, but won't ship the gear until the check clears if we go that route. Shipping costs will depend on where you live, but will most likely be around $20. Insurance will be $6. (I'll consider shipping internationally, but it'll definitely cost more than $20.) I'll send this UPS so you can track it. Contact me at volks1wag at yahoo dot com with any questions or send me a PM. Or heck, post here, I'm not shy.

If you decide to buy this set of gear and when it gets to you it's just not what you wanted, I'll gladly refund your money within 30 days - if all the parts are returned to me and nothing has been damaged. (Please note that I won't refund your money if the mailman breaks the camera on its return to me and you didn't buy shipping insurance before you mailed the package. It's only $6 for $1100 declared value.)

Oh, and the pictures I am attaching to this post were taken with this camera. They are really stunning at full resolution...

[Post edited to mention the 8080 is 8 megapixel, which I had left out somehow]

Yes!! I just posted this earlier tonight. :) FYI, I'm going to post photos of the actual camera and housing when I can, tomorrow or the next day probably.

pm sent

Read and replied!

OK, here are the photos of the actual rig. I took a picture of the whole set, but I also did closeups of all the lenses and the port housings, so you can see that truly, they are free of scratches. I can't guarantee you wouldn't find one using a magnifying glass or microscope, but for the most part you won't find anything that would ever show up in a photograph.

I also did a shot of the scratches on the side of the wide angle - *not* on the lens itself. I noticed while taking the photos there is a little bit of wear on the outside of the housing, but again, nothing that will affect the use of the gear and this housing does not leak, at all, even a drop.

Drop me a PM or an email with any issues. Thanks for looking! - likelite

pm sent

Sold! Thanks for looking, all!

Back
Top Bottom