Full Face Mask for Recreational Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of the DM's here use a FFM to communicte with the captain when tieing in. I have used a FFM before, but I don't think I'll ever have the need to dive one.

Now this is a resurrection of an old thread. As stated by NyResq, proper training is a necessity for diving a full-face mask as with any advanced piece of equipment. There was a little bit of doom and gloom in that previous post, but I'm not going into a point by point. Something to think about though, there are more divers (properly trained) that have been saved by full-face masks than have ever been hurt by them. Unconsciousness with a bite mouthpiece is a VERY bad thing. In addition, proper training and use of communications equipment could save many divers from an unfortunate peril. If you review accident reports that involve diver separation, out of air situations, etc... And think about how the ability to ask for assistance or just basic communications could have made a difference and you will see what I mean. What other sport requires you to be gagged and hearing impaired? This is especially true when performing more complex tasks where coordination and communications become even more important. Even with a well-planned dive, Mr. Murphy throwing wrenches is almost always in attendance.

Now, having said this, are full face masks for everyone? Nope. Are there issues that need to be examined? Lots. Gas switching is and will be an issue. Learning to doff and donn is a requirement, not an option. And it needs to be done with the equipment you're going to be wearing to a point where it becomes second nature. Double sided hood seals? I wouldn't recommend them except the use of attached latex hoods. And attached hoods have inflation issues that you have to learn how to deal with as well.

Mask selection is most important after you've determined the need to dive a full-face mask. This is where you need to research the available equipment. Talk to people that use them. Find out the advantages and disadvantages of each. Look at the quality of manufacture and the design. I'll say only one thing here, Cortez, if I were your divemaster friend that owns a Neptune II, you'd never see me dive it either.

Determine the need, make an informed decision, then get educated and practice.

I purchased one on an online auction not long ago, for $59.00. I haven't been in open water with it yet, but as I have updated just about all my gear, I have done the pool trip once. So far I love it, as I am not interested in communications and such, I think it will work great for me. I do dive primarily in cold water, so it does protect your face. Plus I have bare drysuit hood that it seals great to and no squeeze on your face. The only problem I am having so far, as it is extremely soft and pliable, it tends to vibrate, for lack of better words, when inhaling, as you inhale, the masks moves inward slightly, until the regulator valve opens, then it moves out, ocillating as you breathe in. I have read also that putting the regulator mouthpiece back on will help this and also making it safer if it did flood. So this I have done, and will try it on my next dive. Again, so far I like it, much more comfortable than a regular mask, and it doesn't leak at all. Easy to purge and use.

You are definitely over analyzing things.
1: you don't need a special hood (except for hazmat), you don't need a special first stage. And yes I have hurled in my FFM due to hangover with no problem.
I like the AGA but the bloody straps break easy. I like the simplicity of the cressi sub FFM. There are endless options when it comes to FFMs. I work from Victoria bc to the border of Alaska and swear by FFMs. I don't recommend using these if you are not trained though. Second generation Canadian commercial diver.

I bought an Ocean Reef Neptune. I liked it a lot. I only gave it up when I got the Oceanic Data Mask. You do need a few pool sessions to get comfortable with it.

If you are going to spend the money I would go with the people who make them for a living not a scuba manufacture that only makes them as a side line. Full Face Masks | Kirby Morgan

I actually use one I have the it’s spectrum but I actually feel a lot safer in one for some reason usually a reg doesn’t fit right in my mouth due to a small overbite that I have and water starts to leak in over time during the dive

I actually use one I have the it’s spectrum but I actually feel a lot safer in one for some reason usually a reg doesn’t fit right in my mouth due to a small overbite that I have and water starts to leak in over time during the dive
Since you are new to ScubaBoard, you probably don't realize you are responding to a thread that no one has visited in 8 years, and before those few posts 8 years ago, no one had posted in the thread for 10 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom