Full Face Mask revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None of the exo's I've seen have a gill. I love the gill in my AGA mask, the exo is also HUGE and heavy compared to the AGA.

I made some calls and managed to find someone who has a EXO... that thing is big, heavy, extremely well built but not something I'll take on a rec dive.

I'm probably going to get the Mantis first to test the feasibility of a ffm with my kind of diving and if it works well enough, I'll consider the guardian or draeger nova.

The main advantage of the nova is that there are a lot of after market bits available for use with different rebreathers and regulators.
Golem Gear, Inc. - p-port adapter for standard regulator
Golem Gear, Inc. - Rebreather Products

Only issues with the mask is the cost... $1100 and not having a surface breathing valve.

SangP

"Real" FFMs are not something that you take on a "rec" dive, they are special purpose equipment that you use for specific reasons. Have you thought through why you want an FFM? Being able to nose breathe, and being able to talk (remember that your buddy would need to be sporting the same comms system) are not reasons that jump to the top of the list, recreational comms are most often supported with some sort of mouth only cup.

Hi Thalassamania,

I am aware that the ffm are special use gear and for the most part I would not be using them as intended as it would mostly be for sports diving. I'm usually the guinea pig for dive gear when it comes to stuff my gf would use.

I wanted a ffm for the benefits of less dry mouth (flimsy reason really), the ability to talk to her too would be beneficial and fortunately the mantis has com gear too.

I understand your concerns and I agree that for the most part ffm are unnecessary if not over the top for even serious sport diving.

Which is why I would be trying out a mate's mantis first and carefully weight the advantages / disadvantages of using such gear.

That's why I'm asking for opinions here before buying.

SangP

I owned an AGA/Divator and loved it. It does indeed resolve the dry mouth issue. Equalizing your ears and clearing the mask are two skills you'll need to learn all over again with one, but they are awesome, and worth the effort.

I'd like to get a Guardian some day.

Don't expect to be able to talk and be understood by another diver without comms gear ... you will be disappointed.

Don't expect to be able to talk and be understood by another diver without comms gear ... you will be disappointed.

Huh? What r u taking about? The Mantis/Guardian/Drager all allow the use of com gear.

SangP

You can install comm gear in most any full face mask. But your buddy needs com gear too, and an appropriate mask. If it were me, I'd look for a used pair of band masks, Kirby Morgan or Aquadyne.

Band masks like these?

bandmask.JPG

Are you serious, I'm doing sports diving not commercial stuff! That mask is some serious piece of gear, fortunately I have a friend who has a KB band mask at home but that is way too much for me to use. My gf would probably take one look at it and toss it overboard.

The Mantix has a dedicated com system too:
Ocean Technology Systems - Mantis Buddy Phone

So does the Guardian:
Ocean Technology Systems - New Page

And the Draeger:
Golem Gear, Inc. - Buddy Phone for FFM

SangP

Band masks are very comfortable in the water, do all the things that you want, are very swimable (I use my KMB-16 fairly often), and are sometimes found for a few hundred bucks (I paid $150 for my KMB-16 and put about the same into repair parts).

My Aquadyne DM-5 was given to me in need of repair and cost me about $400 to put back into tip tip shape.

I did not find the BuddyPhone an adequate piece of gear, I would not recommend it. But I was quite satisfied with the Aquacom.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom