Full Face Mask revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swimable they may be but you can't be serious... you ARE! Aquacom $1,700 SuperLite® 17C Helmet $2,000.

I don't know what's your definition of sports diver but it's certainly not what I had in mind...

SangP

When you spend less (at least on coms gear) you get stuff that doesn't really work, that's your privilege, just don't say that you haven't been warned. I don't recommend the SL-17 (or it's descendants) as swimmable, though I have done so.

Thalassamania,

It's not that I'm not thankful for all your advice and help and I know how important coms gear are. But right now, I'm looking for something basic for a trial run.

It may be I'll eventually migrate towards a KMB 16, 18, EXO or a Draeger but till I get more familiar with a ffm I would rather get something affordable and test it out.

The last thing I want is another set of expensive gear that end up collecting dust at home.

For a start the mask has to be easy to use and light for travel purposes, so what would you recommend and do you have any comments about CO2 build up for masks without a nasal cup?

As for the coms gear, I agree that sound quality is paramount and I'll look around for a used set of aquacom.

SangP

Yep it ain't cheap. The only comm gear I've used is the aquacom SSB-2010 but you're going to drop a grand each on just the transceivers. Otherwise I was very pleased with them.

Guys,

I'm in complete agreement with you on the importance of good coms, I'll be scoring the net for a deal on a aquacom but first the mask.

After speaking to many people the consensus is to go for the mantis first and then if it works find try out some of the other brands like the EXO, Draeger or Guardian.

many thanks

SangP

Just out of curiosity, what was the background and experience of the person (people) recommending the Mantis? I, for one, can not imagine even putting it on the same list with the AGA or the EXO.

They are tech divers but they don't have experience with an AGA or EXO. I'll defer to your better judgment & experience when it comes to the serious ffm but for a entry level ffm I would think the mantis should do.

Have you some experience with OTS Aquacom SSB-2001 & EMA-2 coms gear?

Thanks

SangP

First of all, there's not such thing as an "entry-level" vs. a "serious" FFM, they either do the job of they don't ... and then there's some variation. Any "tech" diver who, on the strength of only having used the Mantis, is telling you that it's what you need, is, I fear, a "tech" diver who is speaking from sheer ignorance driven by having misspend a fair piece of change on a Mantis.

Yes I have used both the Aquacom and the BuddyPhone. The Aquacom worked well, at short range it approached the quality of wired comms, the BuddyPhone, however, was often unintelligible.

Ok,

Why not you tell me what you would use... something that's light, easy to pack/travel with and won't scare the other divers off the boat. I'm thinking either a Guardian or Draeger but what do you recommend?

There's no way I'm diving with a band mask till I get some serious time using a ffm.

I'll go look about for the decent price for a OTS Aquacom SSB-2001 & EMA-2.

SangP

Of those that you've limited the choice to, I'd go with the AGA.

A good price on comms depends on the luck of finding used gear.

Back
Top Bottom