Full Face Mask revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting indeed :D!

I could fashion up something for com gear but I need something that can can transmit underwater. Getting the bits from getting wet is also another challenge!

I suppose that a derin tube with filled with silicon gel could be possible but its the mic & ear piece that is going to be a bit harder to make water proof.

Btw, John did you get my last mail bout the fins? The concept is explained better and it's the power posts that generate power for the fins. I couldn't draw to scale the fins bending but I'll try again soon.

Thanks

SangP

SangP,

I got your e-mail, and have been looking at it. But I've had a few other things going on (like work, some extra-caricullar stuff on occupational noise exposures, wife...wife!!!). :wink: I'll be getting back to you.

For an underwater transmitter, copper wire works well. That was my thought. There are connectors that can probably work underwater as well as on land--just need a metal-to-metal connection. Again, just a thought...

SeaRat

As Charlie Sheen once said "I understand" :wink:.

I might b able to fashion one com system up but I'll need some time and help :D!

SangP

Reliable, plugable, underwater connectors like E/O connectors are expensive.

The expensive bit I know lol! I was looking around some electronics shops some time ago and when I mentioned water, switches, connectors the sales person showed me some gold plated screw on connectors n said "very expensive" :(

Btw, I had the chance to fool around with the mask it's the The Secora 600.
http://www.wolfhazmat.de/010101/draeger_Secor.jpg

Only thing it's a positive supply n more suited for surface supply. If I could somehow figure how to add on a regulator port n remove the inbuilt demand valve I would be one happy puppy.

SangP

SangP,

I'm very curious with that Secora 600, did you get any visual distortion?

Concerning the electrical connections, I'm working on that.

SeaRat

With any bent surface, there will be some distortion but the bend is minimal and unless I'm focusing on hard on something its not that noticeable. My friend wants to sell it to me for about $250 or so... not too bad I say.

SangP

SangP,

I asked that question about visual distortion as years ago a fire department asked me to evaluate a Scott Air Pak for limited use underwater. There was a positioning problem with the regulator which made it free-flow (the same problem Cousteau encountered in his very first dive with the first Aqualung, before the double hose feature was added). But there was also an extreme visual distortion which was so bad that it almost produced vertigo when I moved my head. I have since been skeptical of curved surfaces underwater.

SeaRat

Ok, this is the one time I will dissagree with Thal, band masks are not for use on scuba.

Kerby Morgan makes the M-48 Super Mask for sport scuba diving. It is a full face mask that you can mount your second stage regulator to without having to build an adapter or by additional parts. Kirby Morgan Dive Systems | Full Face Masks | M-48

I have been diving one of these for probably close to sex or eight years now and I would not switch to any of the masks mentioned so far. It offers advantages over the OTS, AGA, Drager and band mask such as 1. being able to use your personal regulator, 2. You can talk on the surface to someone else by removing the regulator pod, 3. You can conserve breathing gas on the surface by removing the regulator pod, 4. It is not as heavy as most of the masks mentioned, 5. It's a lot less expensive than any of the masks mentioned (new), 6. You don't need to carry a spare scuba mask to go to a seconday breathing gas source (like an octopus).

Not an advantage, but it is setup for installation of communications equipment. You don't need a waterproof mic either. The mic in the commercial diving helments are just cardboard speakers and they work fine if you don't soak them when you clean your gear. The mic is in the breathing gas pocket of the mask so it should not get that wet.

It's the penitration into the mask and the microphone you have to figure out. If it was me and I was going to try to Mickey Mouse something toghther, I would use the speakers for the Kirby Morgan EX26 and connect them to your underwater transmitter.

We put condoms over the mikes, they work fine and last much longer. I've not used the Super-Mask, perhaps my rejection of the concept was premature and based on my poor experiences with similar concepts in the past ... I will revisit that and give one a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom