Full Face Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While the wetsuit will obviously not keep water out it will at least minimize skin contact with many of the little nasties swimming around in this Lake.A dry suit would be way better but I do not have one of those and do not want to spend the dough cause most of my diving is fairly warm water.

Um... no - think this through. A wetsuit isn't going to minimize contact with the 'little bitty creatures.' It's going to trap them in still water right next to your skin. Where you don't want them.

You may very well be right Boogie, especially around openings such as the neck, wrists and ankles. But my goal is to minimize contact and although I may be wrong most"critters" are much larger than H2O molecules and may have trouble penetrating 5-10 mils of neoprene. We wade in water up to chest deep in this lake and generally do not have problems, but there have been those who have. Guess it depends on your personal sensitivity to such things.Mainly I do not want the water in my eyes, ears, nose or throat. Thats what the full face mask will accomplish.

yea, but what i think boogie is saying is once they get in through neck/wrist/ankle seals they will be trapped there for a while!

When you say the lake is 'nasty' what do you mean?
If it is just yucky water with poor vis that is one thing, if there are chemical or biological hazards in the water it is a whole 'nuther game.

Have someone take a look at a sample of the water under a microscope.

Remember also that even if the 'water' is ok don't assume that the bottom muck is also safe.

If the lake in question is Apopka and you need to work on or in the bottom (deep muck on the bottom of most of that lake) you REALLY want a full dry suit and dry helmet with dual exhaust valves. There is LOTS of bad things in the muck.

My old boss did a simple, quick dive in Apopka to hook up a bulldozer that was dropped off a barge. Everything went fine until the next day when he woke up with a nasty skin rash on his entire body and spent the next week in the hospital.

Better to err on the side of caution.

Yeah, the Lake is Apopka but I would not be messing around in high muck areas. The places we hunt do not have much muck, just sand/shell bottoms.A thick muck layer makes it to hard to find the goodies. Oh well, maybe I should put off this experiment till I can go dry. I did hear about one guy who got into some kinda funky mucky bottom while probing, I think it was on Apopka but not sure. Did not think anything about it until his legs started seriously burning. Turns out he was on the site of an old creosote plant and that 'muck'was pretty much pure creosote. OUCH!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom