Full-Face Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spend a fare amount of time in an AGA and occasionally in an Exo (like them both). However, ffm dives for me are either working dives or psd and are surface supplied with comms.

I can see the appeal of diving ffm and comms are way cool but, for me, the convolutions in the event of an emergency don’t really justify their use in recreational diving. I’ve seen several AGAs rigged with Air2s (reg on the inflator hose), managing an out of air and the subsequent ascent with that kit could get quite interesting.

So, a few questions. What ffm specific training have you had? What are your plans to handle an out of air situation? Do you both pack a spare mask? When was the last time you and your dad practiced out of air and ascent? How did it go?

DA Aquamaster:
I think underwater com equipment or contaminated environments are about the only valid reasons to use a full face mask. It does not work all that well for tech diving where you need to switch to deco bottles on ascent and consequently have to use a backup mask or use a gas switching block which adds additional safety concerns. And the same could be said for air sharing situations for recreational diving.

Aye, that - and I worry about buddy practices. I'm not so sure everybody who uses those things has their OOA-drill ducks in a row.

DA Aquamaster:
I think underwater com equipment or contaminated environments are about the only valid reasons to use a full face mask. It does not work all that well for tech diving where you need to switch to deco bottles on ascent and consequently have to use a backup mask or use a gas switching block which adds additional safety concerns. And the same could be said for air sharing situations for recreational diving.

DA,

Well, it does work quite well in re-breather tech diving, and bail-out to OC couldn't be simpler; just turn the switch! :eyebrow: (I use the Widolf DR-600 with a DSV and Apeks TX-100 second stage from Divematics USA Inc.)

Ya know, if ya'd stop all that bubblin' and get with the program, ya wouldn't have to be doin' all that gas switchin' in the first place! :dazzler1:

Rob Davie :doctor:

If you'd be willing to donate a CCR, I'd be willing to use it. :wink:

Well, I've been diving for just over 5 years, about 4 with the ffm, and my dad and I both know what to do in an emergency, although we haven't actually done practice drills with the ffm. We do carry spare masks in our bc's although putting on a spare mask is not my first priority in an ooa sitution, I would alert my dad and obtain his octo first (and taking off the mask in a hurry is easy). the aga ffm has plenty of benefits beyond contaminated water, however the comm units are definitely a big plus- they decrease the chance of losing your buddy and are good when you actually need to communicate with your buddy for any given reason (and I suppose they could be helpful for decreasing the effects of nitrogen narcosis by focusing on talking... I never thought of that before). also, the mask is much more comfortable than traditional 2nd stages, MUCH more durable and reliable, and it never leaks or fogs. Pretty much the only negative thing you could say about them in an emergency is shock from cold water (I dont plan on diving in anything below 55 degrees), and the hassle of taking the mask off in an ooa situation, but its really not much of a hassle at all.

One big reason the FFMs aren't in wider use is $$, when you get done shelling out for the mask, 1st stage, & comm unit you're pushing over a grand.
Other reasons, like task loading, etc are given but I never found that to be the case.
At any rate, if you want to take a nap or snooze underwater, you'll need at the least a FFM.

I think the biggest reason full face masks and comm equipment isn't popular in rec diving is simply that it's one of the only times in life that's not filled with all the noise I long to get away from. The phone, traffic, co-workers, meetings, etc. I can get away from the rush and fuss and listen to the sweet sound of blowing bubbles. Why would I want something that brings some of the world's 'noise' into my underwater escape?

BigJetDriver69:
Glad you use and enjoy the Interspiro (commonly known as the AGA). Having used the AGA extensively for Public Safety Diving, I can only say that you are quite correct. It is a rugged, reliable mask. It is a little high-volume, but manageably so. It is an excellent mask for communications work!

Some folks are turned away from its use by the slightly higher need for training, and the slighty higher gas useage. I personally believe the pro's outweigh the cons. :wink:

If I may ask, which comm set-up do you use?

Rob Davie

Rob,

Do you use wireless or hardwire comms with your AGA when doing PSD work?

Gerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom