Full-Face Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
I tried that Neptune thingamabob for an hour in the pool and wasn't very impressed with it. Looking down caused the reg to free flow and looking up made it like trying to breathe through a garden hose. In fact it was hard to find a position where the reg worked anywhere near good. The sales rep who was there said "ah, don't worrry, when you go deep this doesn't happen", which just gave me alarm bells. Since then I've seen someone try it on on the North Sea in 35 metres and indeed it seems to work better when you're deeper.

The communications was cool but it has a pretty big gadget-factor to me and I rather prefer not being able to talk under water. When it's necessary I just shout through my reg and it works just fine at short distance.

Anyway, that's why it's not on my wish list. Maybe your mask is much better than that but I came away from that experience wondering why anyone would buy such a thing.

R..

Hey Rob,

The extreme change in breathing effort you experienced is a function of the axis the reg is mounted in (in front) and the distance from your mouth. The same thing happens with a reg in your mouth only not to as great of extremes. The way to dive the Neptune (for those who insist) is to adjust it for the position your in most of the time and readjust for extreme positions. Mounting the reg on the side also fixes the problem.

You dont have to talk to each other all the time, its there in case you actually need to communicate with your buddy. I can understand how the price is a problem, but we got lucky and got two masks with comm units for $500. But I guess you could say you get what you pay for: much higher quality than any other regs or masks out there.

todive4:
You dont have to talk to each other all the time, its there in case you actually need to communicate with your buddy. I can understand how the price is a problem, but we got lucky and got two masks with comm units for $500. But I guess you could say you get what you pay for: much higher quality than any other regs or masks out there.

Actually, I thought the AGA reg was kinda plastic-y. However, the Canadian Navy (among others) has had the thing on some major serious dives, (> 1000 ft) so I guess the engineering is exactly where it's supposed to be.

At least it is when it's used properly - but I suspect that's a pretty big "when".

Under H2O:
Rob,

Do you use wireless or hardwire comms with your AGA when doing PSD work?

Gerry

Gerry,

I use the hard-wire variety for the PSD work. Since you are running a line from tender to diver anyway, it is easy to include a comm line. Then too, if your diver pokes his head into something, the comms still work.

I have a military comm unit with twin transducers mounted on my rebreather shell. The range is fantastic, but you still have to be aware of the "masking" effect.

Both the units are by OTS, and they are great!

Rob Davie

todive4:
Well, I've been diving for just over 5 years, about 4 with the ffm, and my dad and I both know what to do in an emergency, although we haven't actually done practice drills with the ffm.

Good, I'm glad you've discussed it. Knowing what to expect from each other is half the battle. That said, try it... knowing what to do and being able to do it are two different things (drills are more than just a way to coax more money out of students). There is a very good reason to practice this skill, as it is less than trivial (especially with an air2).

Ok, I’ll get off your back, it’s cool you and your dad get to dive together. I have a close friend that grew up diving with his dad, both recreationally and for their commercial dive business. They’re super close and I think the diving has a lot to do with it.

I’ve only had one ooa with ffm, fortunately, I had comms and enough air left in the hose/mask to explain to the tender just how disappointed I was that he hadn’t switched banks yet. There are many who would disagree with me but I find profanity, when used properly, can actually enhance communications…

Dive safe,

Dave

I just tried a full mask and communication device at the swiming pool. I was totally UN-impressed. The quality of communication was like 70s two way radio, a lot of static noise... There might be various reason for the static noise though. I know it is very useful tool for the archaeology project.

As to the full mask, I felt the tunnel vision all the time. I am not sure how much communication you need to have underwater. For the recreational diving, I am skeptical.
You need to talk much, even in underwater... ?

hoosier:
I just tried a full mask and communication device at the swiming pool. I was totally UN-impressed. The quality of communication was like 70s two way radio, a lot of static noise... There might be various reason for the static noise though. I know it is very useful tool for the archaeology project.

As to the full mask, I felt the tunnel vision all the time. I am not sure how much communication you need to have underwater. For the recreational diving, I am skeptical.
You need to talk much, even in underwater... ?

For normal rec diving, some skepticism is in order.

Back
Top Bottom