Full Face Scuba Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just out of curiosity, is there a full face scuba mask that's super low-volume?
Actually, there is a model of low-volume full face mask that has been around for well over five decades, which is still on the market -- once distributed by both Cressi-Sub and Poseidon; and now by Pegasus.

The prices do vary a bit; but it is still less than US 200.00 -- a fraction of the cost of most full face masks.

The design allows for the use of any regulator, with the mouthpieces kept in place. It was my first full face mask and well worth consideration. It allows for equalization through access to the nose and features a tempered glass visor and can easily be used with and without hoods.

The one below has a Poseidon Cyklon body attached but the regulators can be quickly switched . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 11.13.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 11.13.51 AM.png
    728.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3555.jpeg
    IMG_3555.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3557.jpeg
    IMG_3557.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 11.19.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 11.19.27 AM.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 20
Actually, there is a model of low-volume full face mask that has been around for well over five decades, which is still on the market -- once distributed by both Cressi-Sub and Poseidon; and now by Pegasus.

The prices do vary a bit; but it is still less than US 200.00 -- a fraction of the cost of most full face masks.

The design allows for the use of any regulator, with the mouthpieces kept in place. It was my first full face mask and well worth some consideration. It allows for equalization through access to the nose and features a tempered glass visor.

The one below has a Poseidon Cyklon body attached but the regulators can be quickly switched . . .
Have you tried swimming with it without the air tank on your back?

Have you tried swimming with it without the air tank on your back?
It's intended solely for scuba -- and if you're looking for one of those full face snorkeling masks, I would strongly advise against it. There have been far too many drownings associated with those -- attributed to either panic and an inability to quickly remove them and / or equipment failures (flooding in particular) -- compounded by excessive CO2 buildup or even hypoxia via Rapid Onset Pulmonary Edema.

I've used FFMs for decades in industry and otherwise, and wouldn't consider using those poorly-ventilated snorkeling masks for a moment . . .

It's intended solely for scuba -- and if you're looking for one of those full face snorkeling mask, I would strongly advise against them. There have been far too many drownings associated with those -- usually attributed to CO2 buildup . . .
I scuba dive with a long hookah hose that's connected to an air tank that's on the deck.

321ed46ea55b4136f54ed9eb5741a3812f8f5ed9-2.jpg

321ed46ea55b4136f54ed9eb5741a3812f8f5ed9-4.jpg

The OP is evaluating equipment for an adaptive scuba implementation...

@JVanste - as I suggested in other threads, have you reached out at all to @DiveHeart for any thoughts as to how they have maybe dealt with similar situations?

I scuba dive with a long hookah hose that's connected to an air tank that's on the deck.
Oh, I see what you meant.

I have used hookah systems with both masks but prefer a standard FFM, like the one you were wearing.
The low volume "Pegasus" mask is OK but it is too easy to disrupt the seal with the long hoses involved and it doesn't purge with the same efficiency, should the mask flood . . .

Oh, I see what you meant.

I have used hookah systems with both masks but prefer a standard FFM, like the one you were wearing.
The low volume "Pegasus" mask is OK but it too easy to disrupt the seal with the long hoses involved and it doesn't purge with the same efficiency, should the mask flood . . .
Were you able to dive down headfirst without any weights?

Were you able to dive down headfirst without any weights?
In Mexico, I was able to that, since I was only wearing a 3 mm suit most of the time; but the FFM that I was typically using, a Poseidon Jetstream, had ballast weights attached to the mask -- which made head-first descent easier.

In shallower water, the mask would otherwise be a bit buoyant. The Pegasus mask was far simpler -- lower volume after all -- though a bit more prone, as I had mentioned, to water intrusion, if tugged upon; but it still a nice piece of equipment . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom