Full Mask Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few people i know that have tried them say some (cant recall which make) are a bit uncomfortable on the neck due to the buoyancy of them and even worse if you have to look up for some reason. That said im sure some makes are better than others.

You CAN have open circuit/normal reg bailout (and can even carry a spare mask if needed) but your air consumption will be slightly higher.

For extremely cold water diving i can see them being near essential (and also for working in contaminated environments but that isnt going to be an issue here).

I was talking about ear clearing. I have used an aga mask, an exo mask, and a kirby band mask. I really dont like any of them. I think it is a tie between the aga and the exo mask if I had to pick one. I really hate the kirby mask but thats me. I could see some advantage for cold water. The aga mask is for contminated waters, the kirby mask is not.

FFMs are interesting, and have their place. For one, an unconscious diver won't loose his/her mouthpiece. They also help with communication gear. At one point, I bought one to put a tape recorder mic in it and record camera settings, etc. I got the mask, but never did get the recorder.

That mask was a USD FFM for a double-hose regulator, and I put in on one of mine, a DA Aquamaster I believe. It worked well, cleared easily as the mask and mouth covering were separate chambers. I eventually lost it off a bicycle years ago, and never replaced it.

I've used the AGA, and several others. I liked the AGA, with good breathing characteristics.

I tried one last fall that my buddy had on his rig, but didn't like it too much. I tried it at about 25 feet, took my mask off, spit out my mouthpiece (a double-hose reg), and put it on. I was able to clear it with two breaths, and got enough water out of it with one breath to be able to breath. I did not need to use the purge button. I believe it was a Eco, but that's from memory. The one thing I do remember about it was its lack of good vision down, and a tunnel-vision aspect that did not compare to a regular mask.

SeaRat

I've been using a Cressi for years. Love it.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
I've been using a Cressi for years. Love it.
I rigged one of those up with a small microphone/speaker.
Couldn't hear squat but it was good for doing inspections where you could record "observations" etc right onto a tape recorder.

The Cressi/IST style is going to be the best FFM for a beginner to use as it's not a whole lot different than using a normal mask/regulator.

NO FFM is a good choice for contaminated water.

Contaminated water is COMMERCIAL DIVING and calls for proper gear including (but not limited to) a dry helmet, dry suit, dry gloves, dual exhaust valves and proper procedures.

If there is something in the water that makes scuba dangerous, the FFM will not protect you.

I've logged 22 dives with my Neptune/nira mask and I love it. No more headaches in 38* water with my latex hood. No more dry mouth as you can breathe through your nose. Fresh air over the lens means no fogging and no spit/wipe routine.The AGA that I borrowed for one dive would be a better choice if you are head down or inverted alot such as for working. The Neptune will not work as well like that but for fun diving I prefer it and I haven't missed having to bite on a mouthpiece one bit. I would highly recommend looking in to a ffm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom