Full Wetsuit vs Shorty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with some of the others statements. I always dive a fullsuit, 3mm, in the tropics. Just for the protection against jellies and the slight possibility rubbing the reef (dang photographers!! :shocked2: ) This is my first Roatan trip, but I dive Playa del Carmen and Cozumel tons, and I'm never cold. On the flipside, at home in California I'm a huge cold wuss....:D

I always wear a full suit. Yes, I could get by with less at times, but a fullsuit offers sunscreen 2000 and if you are doing multiple dives over multiple days (like I do in Roatan) chillin may occur (if it is not 98.6 you are losing body heat - think tired at the end of the day). Also, if you are chilled, you go through your air faster. My carib suit is a 4/3 Excel.

Another vote for full length wetsuits for all the above listed reasons. More rubber is better than less rubber.

Except..if you're a guy who can't hold it for a whole dive and just HAS to slip to the back of the pack, hike the leg up and.....you get the idea.

Booties and cold water fins are worth considering as well, those warm water slip on ones tend to tear up your feet, especially if you're using rentals.

More of the same 2 cents......My wife and I were in Roatan about a month ago and water temps were a pretty consistant 78 degrees. I dove a 3mil full and my wife had a 5mil full. My wife, who gets cold quickly, was fine the whole time. I tend to be on the warm side, but only rarely had to let a little water in for a quick cool down.

I think the best advice given here was to compare the pool temps you trained in to the water temps in Roatan and go from there since "warm enough" means something different to everyone.

BTW you guys are in for a treat. We had some amazing dives down there!

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses and excellent advice! This will give me time to pickup, a full 3mm wetsuit for me and some booties for both of us, before we leave.

Originally I was only thinking about warmth. But I forgot that the fullsuit will protect against jellies (which we encountered snorkeling in Cozumel), time in the sun and other things you may accidentally brush against.

Curiously, I called our local dive shop and asked of the pool water temp during our training. They informed me of 85 degrees. If I was chilled after my time in that temp, I'm going to be miserable in Roatan without protection.

Thanks again for everyone's help! I am very impressed by the feedback that you all have offered.

Mark

.... and asked of the pool water temp during our training. They informed me of 85 degrees. If I was chilled after my time in that temp, I'm going to be miserable in Roatan without protection....

In the pool training portion, you spent a few minutes thrashing around underwater learning some skills, but most of your time was spent being wet and exposed to air while standing in the water or at the edge of the pool.

That's where you got cold... when you were exposed to the air.

If actually SCUBA diving in 85° water you should be able to go for an hour with no thermal protection- most people can. It is not uncommon for divers to get overheated while underwater. No joke.

P1011224-1.jpg

Again- it is not uncommon to see surface water temps on the South side of Roatan hit 82°+ with regularity starting in April.

Owning that 3mil is a smart investment either way.

Just understand that when you are out of the water on your surface interval you'll be in the tropical sun of Roatan.

As yearly weather pattern evolve in any dive location, it is wise to keep an eye on what is expected at that time of year. April in Roatan should be fine. When on-shore during a tropical cloudburst- it might seem a bit refreshing. If you're on a boat with no roof or side wind protection, you'll be miserable. Depends on if you're already wet, have a diminished core temp, or if your body is already fighting a rocking boat.

Consider also the character of the dive boat. The larger boats lend themselves to better surface interval recovery in many ways, all of them leading to recovering core body temperature. Little, pitching boats can slow that process physiologically.

I must say, your suggestion that most people can dive happily for a hour in 82F water is hardly universal. My wife was literally shivering while snorkeling in 79F water (air temp at the surface was quite a bit warmer and there was little to no wind) after only 20 minutes. On our boat dives, at least half the divers were shivering after the second dive (all in at least 3mm suits), and several divers (including our DM) resorted to wearing two wetsuits later in the week to combat being cold.

Several factors lead to divers being cold: (1) experience (more experienced divers tend to thrash around less in the water, thereby not warming up as much as some newer divers; experienced divers and photographers also tend to move around the reef slower, also resulting in less heating), (2) boat rides (while the surface temps might be warmer than the water temps, and there might not be much wind, traveling quickly on the water, coupled with adiabatic cooling from those who do not remove their wetsuits while topside, can result in much colder divers), (3) inherent "bioprene" (the less fat you have, the colder you're going to get), (4) repetitive dives (core temperature is going to drop across the dive day and across the dive vacation; the more dives you do, the colder you're going to get).

I wore a full 3mm for a week of diving in Bonaire (79-80F). I thought it was quite warm the first day. By the end of the week, I was shivering (and that's after adding a hooded vest).

I think the reality is, cold tolerance varies substantially across divers (due to various factors, some of which were highlighted above).

Personally, I can't imagine diving wet again in tropical waters in the low to mid-80sF. There's nothing that zaps the fun of diving for me like being cold. It simply isn't an acceptable way for me to have fun.

Of course, YMMV.

EDIT: All that said, a 3mm full suit is (minimally) a good place to start for a new diver in waters of around this temperature. Having access to a (hooded) vest could be helpful. A full suit (IMO) is always preferable to a "shorty" simply for means of protection (I'm more concerned about jellies than accidental reef contact). If you're still cold, don't feel bad or feel that you have to endure it, you can always add neoprene or go dry.

In the pool training portion, you spent a few minutes thrashing around underwater learning some skills, but most of your time was spent being wet and exposed to air while standing in the water or at the edge of the pool.

That's where you got cold.

If actually SCUBA diving in 85° water you should be able to go for an hour with no thermal protection- most people can. It is not uncommon for divers to get overheated while underwater. No joke.

P1011224-1.jpg

Again- it is not uncommon to see surface water temps on the South side of Roatan hit 82°+ with regularity starting in April.

Owning that 3mil is a smart investment either way.

Just understand that when you are out of the water on your surface interval you'll be in the tropical sun of Roatan.

In Grand Cayman, Panama and the Florida Keys I dive wearing just a skin and I feel very comfortable. My wife, on the other hand, wears a full, 3mm suit. Prior to going to CoCo View on Roatan last month, I finally broke down and bought a full, 1.5 mm suit. I was very glad I did. My wife wore her 3mm suit with a 2mm hooded vest underneath. She was cold on nearly every dive. There were people wearing full 5mm and 7mm suits with hoods (including the manager of the dive shop). I never heard anyone complain of being too warm.

Last edited:
Well, I purchased a 3mm full wetsuit for myself today. The AquaLung Sport Quantum Stretch seemed to fit me the best over the Neosport 3/2.

One question though... do all wetsuits fit real snug in the armpits? I figure it's because I need to loose weight and tone up.

Any thoughts or remedies?

Also, I picked a neoprene beenie for my wife and booties for both of us. I plan to rent a vest in Roatan for my wife if/when she gets cold.

Thanks,
Mark

We prefer full. A full 3mm gives you a broad range of regions and temperatures and it usually has padded knees. If you go down on the boat or slip on the swimstep it is likely to only result in a bruise.
Shorties require sunscreen, and skipping all dives if a few jellies are present.

We vote for full. Knee pads, Rear Zip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom