Full Wetsuit vs Shorty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark, wetsuits, especially new, feel a bit tight. But wait to pass judgement untill you have a chance to use it in water! Then you'll get a good idea how it really feels (too tight, perfect, too loose). How they feel otu of the water isn,t very important.

:coffee:

Well, I purchased a 3mm full wetsuit for myself today. The AquaLung Sport Quantum Stretch seemed to fit me the best over the Neosport 3/2.

One question though... do all wetsuits fit real snug in the armpits? I figure it's because I need to loose weight and tone up.

Any thoughts or remedies?

Also, I picked a neoprene beenie for my wife and booties for both of us. I plan to rent a vest in Roatan for my wife if/when she gets cold.

Thanks,
Mark

Well, I purchased a 3mm full wetsuit for myself today. The AquaLung Sport Quantum Stretch seemed to fit me the best over the Neosport 3/2.

One question though... do all wetsuits fit real snug in the armpits? I figure it's because I need to loose weight and tone up.

Also, I picked a neoprene beenie for my wife and booties for both of us. I plan to rent a vest in Roatan for my wife if/when she gets cold.

Thanks,
Mark

A snug wetsuit is a good thing as it reduces water exchange. This means less heat loss than a suit that is loose fitting. That said, you do not want a suit that constricts breathing, impairs blood flow, etc. How restricting is it? It is true that most wetsuits loosen up a little after wearing them in the water. It is also true that you can try on different brands of wetsuits in the same size and will find that they will fit differently. It sounds like you tried on two brands. Did you get this at the shop where you are getting your training? Are there other shops in the area where you could try on different brands of suits? Just because one suit fits better than another one doesn't mean that it is the one for you. My recommendation is a little different from Codman's (no offense intended) as I am not going to say to wait until you get in the water with it as some shops will not allow you to return a suit that has been dove. Some will allow you to try it out in the pool and return if it still doesn't fit. Asking if your dive shop will allow this would be a good idea. If not, then I would definitely try on suits at other shops first to see if you can find a better fitting brand of suit.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with 3mm full. W/bibbed hood or beanie and booties. if more is need you can get a shortgie from shop to pull over. Lacuda and i just came back from 3 wks diving every day....like mentioned in above posts, it's a personal thing. Lacuda wore 5mm hyperstretch w/bibbed hood and booties...I worw 1mm full with 3mm hooded vest underneath & booties. Water temp was seady 79 to 80f. enjoy.

I agree with the recommendation to try on a few more suits, if you can. It's true that they loosen up a bit in the water, but I'm not sure that would hold true for the armpits if they are tight, since that's more of a "cut" thing. At any rate, if you try on some others you will probably be able to figure out if they fit better or worse. Overall snug is okay - even desirable* - but I wouldn't want a suit cutting into my armpits/circulation (if it's that tight).

I tried on quite a few where I had the feeling "Well... this is better... I guess." But when I ultimately tried on the one that fit best it was more like "yeah!" Of course by then my core temp was up to about 105º just from struggling with so many wetsuits...

Blue Sparkle

*because any water "flow through" while you are diving will negate the properties of the suit

Thanks,
Mark

I have to warn you of the hazards of trying on a wetsuit...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/near-misses-lessons-learned/140626-close-call-dressing-room.html

Thanks for all your feedback! I dove the past 3 days (2 afternoon dives each) with my 3mm full Quantum in Roatan. The suit has performed better than I expected. It certainly not overly tight in the water. UWith both dives running approximately 45 minutes, I did't get chilled until the last 10 minutes of the 2nd consecutive dive. So, on our 2nd and 3rd days, I added a poly rash guard. That seems to do the trick.

I saw several people on the dive boat wearing all different options of wetsuits. And my wife is no exception.She added a 2.5mm vest and a beenie cap to her 3mm full/rash guard combo. It just goes to show that everyone has a different comfort zone in which to perform.

Head thermal protection can be just the ticket as a slight add-on when you are getting chilled. A large proportion of the heat loss comes from the head. A hood or a beenie can mean all the difference, without needing lots of extra lead. Plus it's cheaper than an extra vest...:coffee:

Excellent point, Codman! As a result of not wearing enough sunscreen on my bald head, I now wear a bandana. I'm not sure how much thermal protection it provides. But it keeps my lid out of the direct sun while on the surface. Works perfect for snorkeling, as well.

My wife loves her beenie for thermal protection and to manage her hair better.

Back
Top Bottom