Fully Intact Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's this one: http://www.torpedorays.com/sites/wrecks/ArcticTrader1.pdf, but I'm not sure if it's still there. When I visited Halifax a few years ago, internet research suggested the locals were trying to remove it. I tried diving it, but the vis was so bad, it was black only 10 feet deep (there was a storm and overflowing rivers from snowmelt) so I gave up.

Just remembered another one but you will need a boat to get to it, the Costarican Trader. I haven't dove on her for years but she is in about 80 ft of water and broken in two. A 115 meter cargo ship that went on the rocks in 1967. She was completely salvaged while on the rocks and eventually split in 2 and both pieces finally ended up at the bottom of Halibit Bay just out side Halifax. This is a good dive with lots to see, you might even find a few scallops just off the wreck in the sand.
I first dove this wreck in the early 80s when you could walk in to her but that is no longer an option.
ZDD

Just remembered another one but you will need a boat to get to it, the Costarican Trader. I haven't dove on her for years but she is in about 80 ft of water and broken in two. A 115 meter cargo ship that went on the rocks in 1967. She was completely salvaged while on the rocks and eventually split in 2 and both pieces finally ended up at the bottom of Halibit Bay just out side Halifax. This is a good dive with lots to see, you might even find a few scallops just off the wreck in the sand.
I first dove this wreck in the early 80s when you could walk in to her but that is no longer an option.
ZDD

It's a nice dive but hardly intact except for a bit of the bow. Even when the bridge/stern area was above water it could barely qualify for intact and that was 15 years or more ago. Salvage and being in shallow water has removed much, or all, of its' "intactness".

It's a nice dive but hardly intact except for a bit of the bow. Even when the bridge/stern area was above water it could barely qualify for intact and that was 15 years or more ago. Salvage and being in shallow water has removed much, or all, of its' "intactness".

The last time I dove on her you could climb the latters,swim all around her all was intact but just in two pieces. The stern section had just gone down but certainly there is nothing to salvage as she was on shore for a few years after the grounding. But, as far as intact shipwrecks go you don't find much better around these parts that arn't less then 100 ft down.

I will have to try to get out on her again sometime but none of my buddies I dive with are interested in diving her. (nothing salvage).
ZDD

The last time I dove on her you could climb the latters,swim all around her all was intact but just in two pieces. The stern section had just gone down but certainly there is nothing to salvage as she was on shore for a few years after the grounding. But, as far as intact shipwrecks go you don't find much better around these parts that arn't less then 100 ft down.

That's a good point. For under 100 ft it's about as intact as they get in the Halifax area. I did like diving the bow section.

There's a trawler in Port Mouton. In about 80 feet if I remember correctly. Only dove it once. Good shape, sunk as an artificial reef.

We went to the Finchley not too long ago. Unfortunately, it has been stripped by some locals of pretty much everything. The wheelhouse, which was still intact not too long ago, has also collapsed in one of the hurricanes. But it is still an awesome wreck to dive and other then the wheelhouse, still three dimensional. Definitely worth a day of diving!

Hey thanks for the update on the Finchley, I didn't get a chance to go there this year but hopefully next year.
I don't know what happened to the original poster, the last I heard is that he was planning a trip to the Red Sea. I don't know if he ever returned.
ZDD

I made three trips to the Red Sea this year and surprisingly I am still here. LOL. Didn't get a chance to dive up north this summer, but definitely planning to next summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom