Fun stuff in Boring places...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trucker girl:
erparamedic, is there anywhere around Indianapolis to dive? We seem to always head up to Gilboa, but I'm not opposed to driving 1.5 hrs in YOUR direction vs. heading straight north...

We have Hidden Paradise and White Rock, both in St. Paul Indiana... not far from Shelbyville. White Rock is quite the bore, don't recommend it. I like Hidden Paradise when the vis is good... I hear that it's 3 feet at best right now. I like to just follow the wall at HP and I see lots of fish and turtles... and there's a TON of freshwater jellies there, and of course, paddlefish (that I haven't seen yet).

Also, there's Blue Springs in Waldron, IN. I hear it is nice and clear and they don't have the algea issues of the other quarries. I spoke to the owner a couple days ago and he said viz was about 30 feet. It's cold past the thermocline... so 60ish. It's 55-60 feet deep, so lots to explore. They have a flying saucer, a dentist chair, a big cabin cruiser, armored car etc. My husband dove there when he got his advanced. I haven't dove BS yet... but I will on August 23. You are more than welcome to join us... the more the merrier. Here's a website for BS- http://www.bluespringsscubadiving.net/welcome.lhtm
By the way, they have air fills, but not always a person available to do them, so I'd recommend bringing as many tanks as you want to dive. I think we may have at least one other person going with us too. Let me know... shoot me a PM if you want, and we can exchange phone numbers.

erparamedic:
I haven't dove BS yet... but I will on August 23. You are more than welcome to join us... the more the merrier. Here's a website for BS- http://www.bluespringsscubadiving.net/welcome.lhtm
By the way, they have air fills, but not always a person available to do them, so I'd recommend bringing as many tanks as you want to dive. I think we may have at least one other person going with us too. Let me know... shoot me a PM if you want, and we can exchange phone numbers.

I'll do that- thanks. I'm an OTR trucker and I will probably be back on the road (I have a respite at home right now to get my tax prep done and do some other work... of course, here I sit on the scuba board...) but if I'm around I think I'd really enjoy that.

trucker girl:
I'll do that- thanks. I'm an OTR trucker and I will probably be back on the road (I have a respite at home right now to get my tax prep done and do some other work... of course, here I sit on the scuba board...) but if I'm around I think I'd really enjoy that.

Great! Let me know when the 23rd draws a bit closer. We'd love to see you there. Oh, by the way, during the week... I hear there's just about nobody at the quarry... which would make it quite nice in many ways!

Okay, we've been discussing the UNO game and have some ideas- including, but not limited to, using binder clips to hold the cards or using a zip lok baggin to hold the "pile."

I also thought we could play Connect Four (two grown women doing this, mind you!).

What are some other games that might survive a treck under water? Or some suggestions on the two mentioned.

And don't say You Sunk My Battleship!

I wonder if you could do the Connect Four with large washers instead of checkers.

UNO. I was thinking again, can you smell the smoke? A velcro band that could be wrapped around one of the boards on a platform might work. Since the Gilboa platforms are suspended you could even play inverted :)

Yatzee. I wonder if dice float? Wonder if you could make your own dice that don't float.

I would suggest marbles but the fish might eat them :biggrin:

How about "Go Fish!"
Ber :lilbunny:

Trucker Girl and I talked on the phone for nearly 2 hours last night. Hehehe... Trucker Girl is really nice... and her voice doesn't sound at all like I thought she would. I suppose I was expecting a "gruff" sounding trucker girl!!! LOL (OK, TG... I know, I ruined more of your image... don't kill me now, or run me over with that big truck of yours.) She's quite nice, and funny too.... and we're gonna have a blast diving!!!

I'm gonna buy a cheap connect four game, and take it too. Trucker Girl and I are gonna do it!!! We're meeting up and gonna dive Blue Springs. We're gonna figure out the UNO thing and then connect 4. I'm trying to figure out if the chips float with connect 4, I'll test them in the kitchen sink to see. If they float, I could have hubby drill a little hole in a chip and see if will sink then. If it sinks, we're good. If it floats. Maybe we could try the washer thing. We'll figure it out.

But hey, any other ideas??

You could probably tape a penny or something similar to the checkers to add weight.
(I really should be working not messing around here!)
Ber :lilbunny:

Oh... hand't thought of that.... we could superglue a penny (just a little dot in the middle) to them... then we don't have to worry about tape coming off and floating away. Great idea!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom