Fundies: Like the idea, but not the equipment requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At this point I don't see a lot of benefit of it vs says peak performance buoyancy. Not all of us like kool-aid.

You might have a different opinion about "kool-aid" and/or your gear set up when you've done some more diving. Then again you might not, however, at 0-24 dives you won't know what is the most appropriate and comfortable gear for yourself so try to keep your mind open at this stage. Also I doubt I would compare Fundies with Peak Performance Buoyancy. I've seen relatively new divers who've done one or the other and those that have done PPB don't even compare as a general rule.

I can see the primary hose and even the fin if the kicks can't be done easily with splits. IMO air sharing drills should be done using the gear you are actually going to dive with.

Actually I think air sharing drills should be done with as many types of setups you can get your hands on. That way you can figure out what is the easiest method for yourself.

At this point I don't see a lot of benefit of it vs says peak performance buoyancy. Not all of us like kool-aid.

Mike,

I totally agree that the system won't suit everybody's taste or style. But I'd be willing to bet you haven't seen a GUE/UTD instructor in the water before. From day one after getting certified, I've had the fortune of diving with some darned skilled recreational and technical divers, and the instructors I've seen from these agencies are truly something else. It's not just about finning a certain way or sharing air with one reg and not the other, it's about being exactly where you want to be, when you want to be there, seemingly instantly. Kool-aid or not, it's an impressive sight!

You might have a different opinion about "kool-aid" and/or your gear set up when you've done some more diving. Then again you might not, however, at 0-24 dives you won't know what is the most appropriate and comfortable gear for yourself so try to keep your mind open at this stage.
Well I have an issue with any group that says their way is the right way (and thus implying everyone else's way is the wrong way). This extends beyond diving. Don't let my dive count fool ya, it is that way because of a long absence (thus I felt my skills had returned to this level).

Also I doubt I would compare Fundies with Peak Performance Buoyancy. I've seen relatively new divers who've done one or the other and those that have done PPB don't even compare as a general rule.
But this isn't Fundies.

Actually I think air sharing drills should be done with as many types of setups you can get your hands on. That way you can figure out what is the easiest method for yourself.
Which would be more reason to not have a "only one way" requirement for the class.

If the splits are kinder on your knees, than by all means keep on using 'em ... but the class may well help you learn to get better use from them than you otherwise would
Yeah - it's the difference between having one's knee swell up like a basketball and causing all sorts of pain - or not. I'll choose the "or not" given the opportunity :)

I have an agenda . . . I think anybody who dives in a high silt area should be able to pass through a dive site and leave the viz unchanged.
I can definitely do this - especially if I stay at least 5m away from the bottom. :)

Actually, I suspect I can do a decent job of avoiding silting while being a reasonable distance from the bottom - but what I am really lacking is video of myself to see for sure what I am doing. Now THAT's something I would pay a little money for - to get an instructor to shoot some video and offer some feedback. No takers yet though.

Hmmm...

NOPE, gonna keep my mouth and keyboard shut! :no:

This is WAY too close to politics and religion. :popcorn:

And my diving is neither one of these. :angrymob: :acclaim: :bounce4: :cheers: :balloons: :angrymob:

Hey, guys, I never said that everybody who dives should become a DIR diver! I just said that, for those who have been intrigued with the descriptions of the GUE Fundamentals class, but have been unwilling or unable to exchange their existing BC for a BP/W, there is now another option.

I would not compare Fundies or Essentials with PPB. They're simply not even vaguely in the same realm of diving.

If all you want to do is learn kicks, go find somebody to learn kicks from. Essentials, or Fundies, is about a whole lot more . . .

Also I doubt I would compare Fundies with Peak Performance Buoyancy. I've seen relatively new divers who've done one or the other and those that have done PPB don't even compare as a general rule.
But this isn't Fundies.
As one of the relatively few who has taken BOTH Essentials (from 5th DX) and GUE's DIR-R, I can tell you there really isn't a whole lot of difference IN THE TEACHING. The significant difference I found was that Essentials was a workshop -- that is, the instructor was there merely to teach while DIR-F was a class where the instructor taught AND evaluated "essentially" at the same time. The fact that I could use my own gear in Essentials (with minimal changes) was pretty much irrelevant (I used my Balance but 5' hose, bungied backup, AirSource and AI Cobra and I must have had Jets) to what was taught.

FOR THE MOST PART the differences between Essentials and DIR-F are cosmetic.

Also, UTD is a conscious effort to teach to the benefits of team diving without invoking those nasty little three letters (D-I-R). AG knows there's a lot of baggage associated with it, and seems to be trying very hard to actively distance UTD from it (in fact, GUE is as well, for somewhat different reasons as I understand it).

The fact that some people are turned off to the idea because of the negative connotations associated with "DIR" is really a shame and a disservice to a great way of diving.

OK, that's it for me.

With less than 25 dives (according to your profile, at least)...make sure you keep your mind open. I promise there is more out there than you can imagine at this point. :D An yes, GUE-F is light-years beyond any PPB class.

Well I have an issue with any group that says their way is the right way (and thus implying everyone else's way is the wrong way).
We haven't heard this argument a million times. :rolleyes:

Seriously -- forget the name, and take the class for the skills. You will be amazed. At this point, you don't know what you don't know.

The guys that started GUE and UTD and all that...they are some of the world's foremost divers. They do the deepest, longest dives out there, with an amazing safety record. They have tried tons of different configurations to see what works best in as many environments as possible (note that they will never say it is "the best" for all environments...but overall it consistently comes out on top). The way they recommend configuring their gear will take you from the shallowest of easy reef dives to the deepest wreck and cave dives, without major changes.

The aspects of team diving that are taught in these classes are applicable in practically any diving environment, and in some cases, out of the water as well (the guys on my dive team are also some of my closest friends).

Forget the name, forget the internet BS, and go do some research. Those of us who have taken the class are usually more than willing to talk to people about it, and in many cases, dive with (and possibly mentor) people who are interested in taking these classes. Feel free to ask away, just make sure you keep an open mind. I promise, there is a valid, verifiable reason for essentially every little part of the system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom