Fundies report - Dutch Springs '10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was less gear to haul this way, but I can't imagine how ratty I must have looked by the end of the class!

You only looked a little ratty :)

What I would/wouldn't do differently:
-Doubles vs. singles - I had wanted to take Fundies in doubles. Bob didn't exactly say no, but he made one of his trademark faces when I told him I had never dove them before.

I dont know if you noticed when I was picking up tanks from Bob, but he makes that face at me alot. At first is concerned me, and now I find it amusing.

Thanks for the report Ari. Great account of what went on!! I am really excited now.

Great report!

Bob really wears his heart on his sleeve... if you watch closely, you can see pretty much how he feels about everything :wink:

I assume he has a poker face somewhere, but in my class we didn't see it :wink: The nice thing is, it makes it really easy to gauge your progress, cause his expression when you nail something that you've been working all week on is worth the price of admission :)

ehhehe... spot on about Bob being right... (speaking as one of the knuckleheads) *grin*

Y

I dont know if you noticed when I was picking up tanks from Bob, but he makes that face at me alot. At first is concerned me, and now I find it amusing.

Thanks for the report Ari. Great account of what went on!! I am really excited now.

Thanks for the report and congrats on taking the class. Real eye opener, ain't it ...?

Henrik

Ah -- thanks. I've been taught two different ways of interpreting the "E" in GUE. One is what special or atypical equipment we have or need for the dive, and the other is to do the equipment check right there. I prefer to go through the plan, then do the equipment check, and do the valves, bubble and Mod-S at the end. I like the Mod S last because, if you find anything wrong during the rest of the equipment check and have to take something apart, the last thing you want to do is make sure that none of your adjustments or repairs have resulted in trapping the long hose.

Ah -- thanks. I've been taught two different ways of interpreting the "E" in GUE. One is what special or atypical equipment we have or need for the dive, and the other is to do the equipment check right there. I prefer to go through the plan, then do the equipment check, and do the valves, bubble and Mod-S at the end. I like the Mod S last because, if you find anything wrong during the rest of the equipment check and have to take something apart, the last thing you want to do is make sure that none of your adjustments or repairs have resulted in trapping the long hose.

That makes sense too. After Bob made one of his special faces when we did an S-drill after the valve drill, I resolved never to do that again :shocked2: . His reasoning was that if you messed up the valve drill you would find out real quickly when you did the S-drill, and you'd do it while it was still a drill rather than on the dive during an emergency. Of course, the incident in question was while we were doing drills on the platform underwater, so it may've been less face-invoking if we had done it during the pre-dive. I like the idea of the last step being checking the long hose trapping too. Maybe GUE(BVS)EDGE then?

I think the logic behind doing GUE(VSB) EDGE rather than GUE EDGE (VSB) was that if you discovered something during the VSB part that needed correcting or even trudging back up to the equipment cart to fix, you then wouldn't be faced with the choice of re-verbalizing your EDGE or hoping you remembered it from before the trudge. Of course, by that logic, GU should go after E(VSB) as well. And now I've talked myself in a circle. There's no perfect way to do this, apparently. I've also put a bunch of words in Bob's mouth now which hopefully I've remembered correctly. If not, perhaps he will reach out over the Internet from the other side of the country and set me right. There may even be a face involved :confused:

Thanks Henrik, Tim, and ScooterGirl.

Henrik - we have to make it out to Dutch together sometime. I keep hearing about you :)

SG- If you're in the area and need a buddy drop me a line.

GSK,
The first day in doubles and have that control in the water was outstanding!!!

I wish I had your skill set with under 50 dives. Keep up the great work and anytime you want to do drills or a real dive I would love to be part of your team!!! :D

Well, the really important thing is not to leave anything out. Whatever sequence you adopt, do it methodically and always the same, so you won't forget anything.

Of course, I have my sequence so well installed that I seem almost unable to remember that with "regs", we have to check the deco and stage regs as well (also for the flow check!)

Great report, GSK3. Brought back so many memories of my recent class. Now you need to come to Hawaii and celebrate :D :D

Peace,
Greg

Henrik - we have to make it out to Dutch together sometime. I keep hearing about you :)

It'd be great to dive sometime ... and don't trust a word you hear ... Can't trust those DNY folks ya' know.

Henrik

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom