Funding for divemaster course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks everybody for the posts and suggestions.
sea2summit: thats everybodys response when i ask this questions u just got the balls 2 laugh outloud.
mattboy: ive checked out utilia and talked to the owner at the shop there but i was worried bout gettin a dm certificate outside the USA. is that even a issue?
waterbearer: he said i could work off some of my exspenses for the classes once i finish. im only a OW diver at the moment. i was gonna do kinda like a month long dm course there so i completed alot of dives and got alot of experience so itd be easy to get a job later. where do you train your DM?

thanks to everybody for their posts i really appreciate them

Dude DO IT!

I am old now and looking back I wish at your age I had done whatever it took to be a dive instructor on an island making no money living in a shack on the beach.

DO IT DO IT DO IT. do not let anyone stop you. do whatever it takes with integrity and follow your passions. every one on this board should send you $10. just for the satisfaction of seeing some one with a dream do some thing about it.:coffee:

if you have a paypal account Ill send you the first $10.00 or if the dive school has one Ill send it to them in your name.

I agree with sailnaked! Find a way and go for it !!! I wish I had.

Go for it! Enjoy life while you can. Better than sitting behind a desk looking at four walls and wishing you were diving!!!!!

Same here! I'm 57 years old, and just realizing that diving is what makes life worth living. I am going for DM training so I can quit a job that is killing me due to the stress so that I can finally live the life I enjoy. It will cost me....yes....but the price is well worth it. To have done it 35 years earlier probably would have made a bigger difference, but we have to go with what we have now. Do now what you won't look back at later and regret not doing because it didn't fit into mainstream "success." Find what you love to do, then find a way to make money at it. I wish I knew this sooner, but I know it now!

waterbearer: he said i could work off some of my exspenses for the classes once i finish. im only a OW diver at the moment. i was gonna do kinda like a month long dm course there so i completed alot of dives and got alot of experience so itd be easy to get a job later. where do you train your DM?

That's great that he's giving you a discount. You don't realize what a blessing having a dm with an OW class is until you've been through it. Just an extra set of eyes is so helpful. DMs can pick up on nervousness and work out issues better than an instructor can sometimes.

I am an independent instructor now so I train wherever and whenever. When I worked for a shop I was in North Palm and I took my DMS to the pool, OW with students and one on one time on fun dives as well. You will find that your skills and confidence will multiply tenfold as you go through the courses. Stick with a find a dream job while you are young and have no ties. See the world while you can!

Same here! I'm 57 years old, and just realizing that diving is what makes life worth living. I am going for DM training so I can quit a job that is killing me due to the stress so that I can finally live the life I enjoy. It will cost me....yes....but the price is well worth it. To have done it 35 years earlier probably would have made a bigger difference, but we have to go with what we have now. Do now what you won't look back at later and regret not doing because it didn't fit into mainstream "success." Find what you love to do, then find a way to make money at it. I wish I knew this sooner, but I know it now!

Ditto. I'm 56 and just finished my DM this year. Started diving in 1970. Now, I'll have to admit that all of the *stuff* in between has been very helpful in allowing me to DM in comfort today... I find that my only *regret* in life was that I didn't stick with the diving over the years and had "Gone Pro" years before...

... btw, there was about a 30 year "surface interval" in between first introduction to diving and my rediscovery of it about two years ago... cause was a combination of 'real life'... and a lack of oceans... and then I discovered that oceans aren't critically necessary... and 'real life' is a perception issue...

... go for it. There is much to be gained not only in diving skills but in personal development that can also be useful to you in other endeavors...

J.R.
MIDWEST Puddle-divin' Divemaster over 50... er... 56... and lovin' every minute of it...

I'm gonna post to this thread later. At work now so time is limited. But my feeling is if you are assisting with classes during your dm training all you should pay for us books as you should have your own gear. No one should start dm training until they have their own stuff unless the shop is furnishing it. If they are it should not cost you. But you should at least own all your equipment by the time you get your card. I'll go into more detail later. Break is over.

In Key Largo?

I lived around the world as a DM, work paid for travel. If you want a plasma TV and a BMW don't become a dive pro. If you want to live the dream do.

wow thanx to everybody for posting! the encouragment is greatly appreciated cuz most people think ima 'beach bum' for trying to do this.
SnailNaked: man thatd be cool as hell if alot of people would do that! although im afraid your the only one that would do that. thanks a ton for the guesture though man thats awesome.
jupitermermaid and J.R. : congrats on going for it and doing what makes you happy! proves its never to late
SuperShark: thats how i see it, enjoying what you do and not being rich is better than being miserable at your job and being rich. some people have all the luck and have both :mooner: :D

thanks to everybody for the posts keep em comin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom