Funding for divemaster course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Contact the boy scouts of america, Florida sea base. I believe they offer a program where they will train you as a divemaster and provide room and board with the stipulation that you work for them for a season or two. Check their website for info. Just google florida sea base and you will find it.

hey there enthusiastic carreerhunter :).
Maybe you can consider doing your DM in Thailand.
It is much cheaper living there than at most places.

I will do my Idc on koh Samui.
The little house a would be paying for is 155 €/ month.
You can always drive with another student if you like.
And the food is around 45 bath a think. Should be around 1 € a meal.

If you like a can give you some extra info about the dive school.

greetz

Thanks to everybody for their help and advice. It was greatly appreciated. I got a offer from Cane Bay Dive shop in St. Croix that i will be taking. Thanks again for everyones help

Iam suppossed to go down to key largo in Feb. to complete training thru divemaster and work down there at Horizon Divers. Iam just out of highschool so i dont have alot of cash. We figured out itd be around $1500 for equipment and another $1500 for training. i also have to find a place to stay and pay rent which im finding out is pretty high down there. What i was wondering is there any kind of career developing loans i can get or a special kind of grant? i dont know much bout either. id appreciate all suggestions

With a lot of hard work, you can be a divemaster and make enough money to live in your parents basement, while still being able to afford your own pizza and beer, although a car with gas an insurance is probably not in your future.

My suggestion would be to get a college degree or start your own business or learn a skill that pays well, then dive when you want to . If you want your DM cert, that's great, but do it because you want it, not to make money.

Whatever you do, do not take out a loan for this. The bank will want their money back and you won't have it.

Terry

Jared,

I'd seriously look at locations other than FL... there are many good places to earn your DM that will be more of an adventure, and also quite a bit cheaper. 600-800$ is pretty common in the Carribbean and in Roatan.

D

Back
Top Bottom