FYI Peter Hughes' New Policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im just gonna stay quiet...no need to get another posting pulled or nasty pm.

Well, I think it sucks! Not the policy, but putting it in place after you've booked. They should provide the extra equipment at no charge to those who've already booked a trip.

$30.00 seems reasonable for these items for a one week trip. You're just paid at least over two thousand for the trip. Another thirty for safety is a drop in the bucket. In any case a boat diver should have already had these items. Most boats in the NJ/NY area already require them.

diveborg:
The other captains might be good, but the way the corporation handled that incident reflect badly and the whole operation.

I completely agree.

I'm sure they have some very qualified captains working for them. However, how their corporation handled this was just bad.

Also it appears that there are maintenance and safety issues on at least the boat in question. Somebody has to take responsibility of that and the corporation clearly doesn't, even if all of their boats are not corporate owned, but "franchises".

I'm glad that Allison has had good experiences on some of their other boats. I definately wouldn't want anything to happen to her from a safety standpoint. But the ultimate responsibility for safety is the Peter Hughes corporation and I think it's clear they dropped the ball on the Wave Dancer.

FWIW, I'd never consider going on any of their boats.

I think many of us feel that way.

Back on subject of the safety sausage and dive alert horn. This should be required equipment for any liveaboard, regardless of corporation. It's just good safety planning. Ever diver should own these. Even on day-charters it's a good device to have. A small safey sausage will easily fit in any BC pocket and the Dive Alert is not noticeable on your BC. For offshore, liveaboard, or higher wave height conditions, a larger 6' is a good idea to have.

As for costs, $30 rental fee is a reasonable price. A diver should have one of these and the fact that they have them for rent to divers that "forget" them is a good thing. It seems like a proactive safety move for Peter Hughes corp.

pakman:
edit: just noticed the product on 5thD Is called "DIR DiveAlert"... are they serious? but, but, but that's an unnecessary potential failure point... j/k

Pakman, I know you were just joking that it was a DIR worried "failure point", but one of the things I noticed on the Dive Alert that it has a slot that you can run a zip tie or string through and attach to a clip so you could just clip in on and attach/use on the surface so that it's not 'in line' or installed during the dive. (just a thought).

Walter:
Well, I think it sucks! Not the policy, but putting it in place after you've booked. They should provide the extra equipment at no charge to those who've already booked a trip.

I was on Star Dancer two Julys' ago. I belive the web site had stated that these things were required, if not when I called them they told me they were required. From my experience it was a policy. I purchased a sausage, already had the strobe. These things were provided if you were onboard without them.

While on a liveaboard in Australia our BCs were checked and loaded with the boats saftey equip of sausage, strobe and whistle...they took our sausages out...theirs were bigger.

I felt that saftey was a concern on Star Dancer

All of the airlines have baggage weight issues right now. The price of a flight to far away destinations nearly equals the price of a liveaboard ....what kind of great service is it when you can only take 50lbs of luggage and this includes your dive equip. To me this is much more of an issue than $30 rental for saftey equip.

For the price tag of the trip ($2000 plus) they should provide use of the required safety items as part of the trip cost.....at no additional charge for those who forget the safety equipment. Thats goodwill and good marketing.....

Walter:
Are you telling us that you don't already own a surface audible signaling device (dive alert or the equivalent) and a safety sausage?

Back
Top Bottom