G10 Housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heads up, apparently there is floating about a prototype FX/Fisheye conversion lens for the G10/FX housing that may have a FOV of 160 plus degrees. The current 15mm port is only about 100 degrees or less FOV so this may soon be a real option for G10/FX housing for ultrawide photography. Just for myself, that would certainly sway my purchase decision. This could be a superior combination.

N

I ended up going with the Patima housing w/ a S&S ys-110a strobe and ultralight arms. I went with the Patima mostly because it was the only one I had seen in person and I wasn't too sure how I felt about the closure on the FIX, but maybe that's just me. It's pretty heavy, no surprise there.. But, fairly easy to handle underwater. Not overly heavy or unevenly weighted. Still waiting for a nice WA lens to come out... I have only had it in the water twice, once being in the pool to test it out, and once on a boat in Palm Beach. I'll throw up some pictures I took of everything put together if anyone is interested in getting a better idea of size. I'll post more 'real' underwater shots when I get all of the settings figured out. I'm open for suggestions. If anyone wants a better picture of a certain part let me know and I'll do my best. I know when I was shopping around it would have helped to see some more real pictures instead of old stock photos. Let me know what you think.

Thanks to the guys a Reef Photo for putting up with all of my questions and getting me everything I needed.

-Ryan

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 65
Nice setup you got there SilentWater. Fantasea is coming out with a "sorta wide angle" adapter for the Canon housing. It should be comparable to the Ikelite's Wide Angle option.

# Depth rated to 60m/200 feet

# Field of view recovery (magnification): 105% (X0.7)

# Angle of coverage: 80 degrees

# Lens material: Optical glass, hard coated plastic and anodized aluminum

# Weight: 498g

# Dimensions: 157x77mm

# Box includes: Neoprene lens cover, secure line, warranty and instruction manual
.f

Nice setup you got there SilentWater. Fantasea is coming out with a "sorta wide angle" adapter for the Canon housing. It should be comparable to the Ikelite's Wide Angle option.

You mean for the Canon brand housing or for the other aftermarket housings?

For the Canon brand housing WP-DC28

Frank,

You're full of knowledge! Any chance you can post any links that might give more information? I'm still toying with moving to the G10 and I'm debating which housing to start with.

I'll stand by my statement. I don't think any point-and-shoot camera can stand up to a DSLR.

Any point and shoot versus "any" DSLR? I will be happy to take that bet.

There are so many plus and minus issues between the two...don't see how anyone can make a sweeping statement like that.

If you are talking a Sony A900 or a Canon 5D and the issue is resolution.. absolutely.. but then they beat almost all the DSLR's out there.

If we are talking a Nikon D60 versus a G10 at ISO 80, the G10 is far better.

If we are depth of field... and you want more... the G10 is far better... if you want less, a DSLR is better.

If you want to do a dome port, wide angle, in crystal clear water..not seen anything that is as good as a dslr...

If you want to go from macro.. really close macro... with zoom, the G10 is way better.

If you want the least shutter lag...DSLR (although there is a way around that with the G10).

As to why spend all the money for twin strobes...and then buy a lowly G10... well, they can take great images.. and there is something everyone should know about underwater housings... there are two kinds.. those that have leaked and those that will leak. Strobe leaks are no big deal ... cameral leaks are. I can honestly say that when the day comes that the G10 dies underwater.. I will miss it, but then go get another. I've done the SLR route.. and that leak really, really hurts.

I print a lot of my images, usually in 13 x 19...and resolution with a G10 is amazing... assuming you shoot in ISO 80 or 100.

This image is down sized to 1024 x 768...with two YS110's...not cropped... had I taken it with a DSLR, I would be hard pressed to understand how it would be clearer and sharper or anythinger.

damselfish2.jpg

The conditions were at about 100 ft, vis around 20 ft... a light was needed if you wanted to see under any ledge, as it was pretty dark.

If you want to go from macro.. really close macro... with zoom, the G10 is way better. Than what? Canon 5D Mark II, with canon 100 mm macro plus 1.4 tele + macromate will give you at least 3.6 to 1 super macro. With clean corners, with controllable DOF. When you say that the G10 has more DOF and is far better what are you comparing to. Any reasonable DSLR with a good macro lens will have diffraction limited DOF that is usually better than the G10 since it is all about sensor size. Of course you need lots of light to shoot at F22 but that's what strobes are for. In actual practice it is hard to imagine a shot that you can take with the G10 that you can't take with a DSLR (except for perhaps sticking your hand in a hole with a tiny housing) while it is easy to imagine a variety of shots that you can take with a DSLR that you can't get with the G10

Bill

Bill,

Cost as a factor, how much would all of those add-ons run that you mentioned to the DSLR?

It may be just my guess but I think Puffer may have meant more stock, comparing a stock G10 without all the add-ons to that of a DSLR. Just how I took things and I don't speak for Puffer in any way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom