G10 - Patima or Fisheye housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both the Fisheye and the Patima housings are fantastic. You really cannot go wrong with either. If you want wet mate lenses, then the Patima is the way to go. However the 15mm Wide Angle lens for Fisheye is a beautiful piece of glass. The Fisheye housing is also a little bit smaller in size. For either set up, I would recommend going with Ultralight tray, handle and arms, and a Sea & Sea YS-110a strobe.

Hi All,

I am pretty new to underwater photography and am seriously considering the Fisheye housing. The main reason that I am considering it over the Ikelite housing is that it seems to be much more compact. Could you tell me if you can use ikelite strobes (DS-160) with the fisheye housing? Could you also tell me if the canon housing could use TTL function of the ikelite strobes?

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, but not with their electronic TTL- You'd have to use a fiber optic ttl connection. I assume the Ikelite supports this- but I'm not certain, as I went with the Inon w/ fiber optic.

And No to the canon housing with Electronic TTL as well- same deal, but less elegant connection for the fiber optic cable than the fisheye.

Thanks for the quick response. I guess with the canon housing to get optical ttl, I would need to duct tape the cable to the housing or something along those lines.

Dave

Nemrod recently posted an interesting link that had a comparison of various wide angle lenses Cameras Underwater: Olympus PT-015 underwater housing and C-5050 camera. Test pictures.

It would be great if somebody could do something similar comparing the G10 in different housing/lens configurations:

Ikelite with the slip over dome
Fisheye with its WA adaptor
Patima with the Inon WA lens

Short of this type of testing anyone out there want to venture what they expect the differences would be?

IMO, based on what I have calculated using "actual" math and the best measurements I can get (which are suspect) from these various housings the set up that would produce the best wide angle with the G10 would be the Inon 100-28AD lens equipped with the Inon dome port corrector. This would produce underwater FOV in excess of 130 degrees.

Why the Inon 100-28AD instead of their 67MM threaded Inon WAL? The "28AD" means the lens is corrected for native 28MM lenses. The G10 and Nikon P6000 both have a 28MM native lens. Therefore, while these two cameras would work with the standard 67MM threaded lens if zoomed in to the equivalent of a 35MM focal length, you would loose some FOV. The Inon bayonet mount 100-28AD WAL would preserve the full FOV, either 100 degrees without the dome and with the dome 130 degrees.

Downside, the manufacturers apparently would rather hobo rig everything than produce a compatible bayonet mount for these existing, easy to purchase (semi expenisve) off the shelf lenses. What the he---double L? Why reinvent the wheel over and over????????

The Inon dome port is large enough to do passable over/under shots and I am sorry to keep tooting SFLDiver's photos but the dude has it going on with his G9/Patima and Inon 100 WAL with dome port. BUT, recall that the G9 has a 35MM native equivalent lens, the G10 uses a 28MM thus my recommendation above. The manufacturers may not do "actual" math, but I do.

Lenses are always expensive, lot's of terrestrial shooters have zoom and special purpose lenses, at least back in the day that cost 10X what the camera body cost. This is the answer if only the manufactures would accommodate it. Of course there are adapters for macro as well. This would still produce a cost effect, still compact unit compared to a dSLR. price some ports and lenses for those that produce 130 degree FOV.

http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main...id=764&zenid=a774ea9cf566764efd299d9ff4d0855e
N

Last edited:
Nemrod:
Not to doubt your math, but Ryan at Reef says "Inon UWL-100 28 AD also vignettes badly" suggesting something isn't working as you might calculate.
Bill

Nemrod:
Not to doubt your math, but Ryan at Reef says "Inon UWL-100 28 AD also vignettes badly" suggesting something isn't working as you might calculate.
Bill

How did they mount the lens to make that statement? Again, if the manufacturers would optimize their ports the problems would largely go away.

I suspect they are wrong and they were not dealing with the 28AD with dome port but if they were, nonetheless, zoomed in slightly it would still be wider than the dome port corrected 28MM. Certain people, experts, told me I could not install the 165AD to my Ikelite housing and explained why--they were also wrong.

You can add optical triggering to an Ikelite housing, the Patima I think has a port for optical triggering. My solution was more elegant than duct tape. I built my own aluminum deflector/holder and then used the Inon end clamp, piece of cake, works perfect.

DSCF0006-4.jpg

I have to zoom in somewhat also, I still get a 130ish degree FOV which is still twice the corrected FOV of a 28MM equivalent lens at 65 degrees---my math, your math, their math. The experts will lead you astray because they really are just not wanting to go the extra mile. IMO, the Inon 100 lens with dome port would be much wider than the corrected 28MM dome port on the Ikelite housing. The lens must stay close to the camera's native lens, the closer the better. Note index marks for bayonet mounting of lens.

One thing that I did not fully account for when I ran some numbers on this was the diameter of the G10 native lens. It is a sizable lens for a P&S. This would have some effect on the vignetting certainly but what I did do was hold the standard 100WAL up to a G10 zoomed to about 35MM equivalent and I saw no vignetting so it makes me think the vignetting you mention is the result of port length and not an optical incompatibility.

N

Last edited:
Well I hope the G-10 is OK. We have a few other small point and shoot Cannon camera's that we have taken pictures from Dominica to Fiji and with and came out with some pretty good pictures.

But all of sudden to take snap shots of our Charter guest she wants a better camera...

Plus I guess it will shoot some limited video.

All the housing are sold out in the U.S. it looks like... Looks like she will have to order one from Japan.

UNLESS I hear different guess we will be buying one tonight.

Back
Top Bottom