G10 vs a590

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one is arguing that the person behind the lens is the most important piece in the equipment chain.

All I am saying is that, given two identical photographs, the one shot in RAW will ultimately offer more creative possibilities to the photographer in the post-processing phase than the one shot in JPG. From that perspective, its an important option - no, it won't fix your understanding of composition and there's only so much it can do to fix exposure, white balance, etc., but all things being equal, wouldn't you always want as many tools at your disposal as available?

Do you disagree?

Well, yes, I agree, however, the OP mentioned wide angle as important (unless I am having a brain cloud--it happens) and therefore I will quote you:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
but all things being equal, wouldn't you always want as many tools at your disposal as available?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The answer is yes and the 590/720 has more tools at it's disposal because it accepts a range of off the shelf wet mount lenses from macro, to wide angle to ultra wide angle and quite simply the G10 does not. Therefore, RAW aside, if a wide angle shot is what you seek, the G10 cannot do it. However, the 590/720 system can.

BTW, there is probably a RAW hack for the 590, I have it on my 570s.

Yes, in a perfect world I want the most pixels on the largest sensor with the most options for macro through ultra wide angle with RAW in the "best" camera. But in the real world, the G10 falls flat on it's face.

This may get what you want. There is a rumored ultra-wide port (greater than 120 degrees) in development.

http://www.backscatter.com/HostedSt...1868d6109a2&s1op=cn&sop=AND&s1lop=AND&s1d= &s

If you have no interest in wide angle (greater than 90 degrees) then the Ikelite housing with their 28mm dome port (u/w FOV equals barely 63 degrees) might be the ticket.

http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/wd4dome.html

Just for general interest, comparison of the rear elements of the Inon 165AD 165 degree FOV fisheye lens beside the Inon 100WAL with Inon dome port conversion 130 plus degree FOV semi fisheye lens:

DSCF0005.jpg

Neither of these effective off the shelf lenses will fit and work with any G10 housing combination that I am aware of. I like tools in my tool box.

N <--bulldog with the facts

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread with great info about a possible option to the G10. It does have some incorrect info, in particular in one series of photos the poster is comparing lenses zoomed to prevent vignetting. In the picture with the Inon 165AD fisheye lens, that photo is incorrect, that particular lens only operates as a fisheye underwater where the dome port will increase the effective FOV beyond what is seen in the "air" photo. I know this for fact because I have done these almost exact tests but with the 570.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27978&st=0

Also, I just learned something, the AD to 67mm threaded mount that I made, hmmmmmm, apparently 10Bar makes one also. Interesting. The photo I posed above with the rear lens shot, my 165AD fisheye has my homemade AD to 67mm adapter mounted.

The camera in the thread, I like it, I could make it work with wet lenses, if I were not out of money I would get one. it needs the shorter port they are gabbing about.

N

In the picture with the Inon 165AD fisheye lens, that photo is incorrect, that particular lens only operates as a fisheye underwater where the dome port will increase the effective FOV beyond what is seen in the "air" photo.

So you're saying that the FOV in that shot would be even wider than shown ...? Interesting. So I guess you'd disagree that the Panasonic "dry" WA lens is the best way to go - as per LERF in that thread.

I have been drooling over the LX3 and would jump on it if I could get over the short zoom and the (to me) high-ish price of the 10Bar housing. Although I realize $630 is almost a steal for a high quality housing.

So Jack, you asked in that thread if there's any US interest. Well, I'm interested. If you have or get an approximate price, please shoot me a PM.

Thanks

Henrik

I ended up buying the A590. I was going through junk on my desk and I found a letter from Reward HQ. I had a $25 gift card to amazon.com. Then I opened another letter from Sandisk and it was a $60 prepaid card. So I picked up the a590 for $24.95. You cannot beat that price.

BH has a $25 gift card when you buy the Ikelite housing for the a590. So I'm going to pick that up.

24.95+259.95 = $284.9 for the camera + Ikelite housing.

That leaves me with a lot of money to pick up a strobe, which I desperately need.

So you're saying that the FOV in that shot would be even wider than shown ...? Interesting. So I guess you'd disagree that the Panasonic "dry" WA lens is the best way to go - as per LERF in that thread.

I have been drooling over the LX3 and would jump on it if I could get over the short zoom and the (to me) high-ish price of the 10Bar housing. Although I realize $630 is almost a steal for a high quality housing.

So Jack, you asked in that thread if there's any US interest. Well, I'm interested. If you have or get an approximate price, please shoot me a PM.

Thanks

Henrik

Henrick, I do not believe in investing in a housing and all of the associated equipment and then risking the camera as my "pocket" camera for flying saucers. Therefore as a dedicated U/W camera the need for huge zoom ratios is eliminated and is actually detrimental. I know this is hard to grasp, it took me a while also but as as past Nikonos III owner that is what we did. The Nikonos was a marine camera and to limited for land use, I carried a SLR Nikon for land use--same concept here.

The Panasonic lens is LONGEST at the wide end, opposite of the G10 which is shortest at wide end--a different optical design.

You asked about the photo with the 165AD, yes, per my tests it will be wider because the fisheye effect is magnified once the dome is submerged.

As to what is better with that Panasonic camera, wet or dry, without having one to play with I cannot say for certain. I think wet mount lenses can be an option for it if 10Bar makes that SHORT port they are talking about.

As well, the G10 set in the other link, for those with the cash, if they make the rumored ultra wide port then there is no doubt that it would be an "awesome" do everything set up, though expensive.

I believe, not to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think Mr. McCormick said he was going to carry that 10Bar line or was considering it. Maybe I should, lol, wink, no, no.

The Panasonic appears to be a very capable set if you purchase the ENTIRE rig and accessories. My feeling is that a year from now I would not regret it but I just happen to think a better camera is coming with the new Micro 4/3 system. I believe Panasonic is a signer on that system.

Meanwhile, I will soldier on with my low budget and very capable 570, I think the 590 and maybe 720 with Ikelite is a very capable low budget system for a serious amateur who has no thought he/she is going to publish a magazine cover, unless I catch that flying saucer.

N

I ended up buying the A590. I was going through junk on my desk and I found a letter from Reward HQ. I had a $25 gift card to amazon.com. Then I opened another letter from Sandisk and it was a $60 prepaid card. So I picked up the a590 for $24.95. You cannot beat that price.

BH has a $25 gift card when you buy the Ikelite housing for the a590. So I'm going to pick that up.

24.95+259.95 = $284.9 for the camera + Ikelite housing.

That leaves me with a lot of money to pick up a strobe, which I desperately need.

You and I, we are two peas in a pod, that is how I think. Good job, hope you have fun with it for several years.

Get the Ikelite tray and one inch ball. Get either the Inon D2000 or the YS110, either of those should make you happy and work with other growth camera rigs in the future, I hope. I know the D2000 works so I recommend it highly for this camera but there are other viable options, even the Ikelite AF35 might be a decent option for closeup and close snaps.

N

Back
Top Bottom