G11 & Sea&Sea YS-110a strobe - settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryTX

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I'm getting ready to take this G11 / YS-110a / Fisheye FIX case setup into the ocean for the first time. I wanted to double-check thoughts on best settings - I'll mostly be diving a reef & would like some good shots of marine life there. I'll be shooting through a Fisheye FIX housing with the standard port, no wide angle attached, and a strobe mask to block out the G11's own flash. The strobe is attached with a fiber optic cable

I was thinking I would set the camera in Aperture mode, flash set to always on. Is this the best appoach?

I've seen some recommendations that the G11's flash should be dialed down as much as possible - is this correct?

On the YS-110a, I plan to set to Manual 1, Slave On, Power Full. Is these the right settings for the strobe to read the preflash and adjust the strobe's flash power accordingly, or is there a better way?

Any comments will be appreciated!

In theory the G11/YS-110A combo will support TTL when the camera is in either Aperature or Shutter priority. If you want to try this set the strobe switch to TTL mode, max power, and use the camera in Av or Tv mode. I have a G10/Fix and YS-110A and I never had much luck with using the TTL functionality. I have had much better results using 'M' manual mode on the camera and 'Manual 2' mode on the strobe. YMMV.

In order to use optical TTL you cannot switch the G11 camera strobe to manual setting and lowest power. The external strobe when in optical TTL mode boot straps the camera strobe so the camera strobe must be in Auto.

The Av selection should be fine, leave the camera strobe in Auto. You can use your G11 (internal)strobe compensation +/- to help control the TTL exposure of the subject along withe external strobe controls. Use the G11 (overall) exposure compensation to control background exposure.

N

This is all very helpful, thanks.

Nemrod, has your preference also been to shoot with the strobe in Manual mode also or do you prefer to use TTL?

This is all very helpful, thanks.

Nemrod, has your preference also been to shoot with the strobe in Manual mode also or do you prefer to use TTL?

Barry,

I do not have your model strobe but the basics of how they interact with the. camera are similar. The short of it is that I use the ttl often, especially close up and poyrait and macro. I think your outfit should do fine in ttl.

Ok, I would go into more detal but a cycling accident leaves me in hospiyal with broken femur.

James

Barry,

Ok, I would go into more detal but a cycling accident leaves me in hospiyal with broken femur.

Nemrod, I am sorry to hear of the accident. I wish you a speedy recovery and minimal discomfort.

Barry

Back
Top Bottom