G250? Worth servicing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it was an "old" mk-20 I'd say it was because of the piston. They were notorious for being "mushy" regarding lock-up. A new MK-25..... IDK. I only have a history with MK-2, MK-5, MK-10 & MK-15 pistons (though recently got MK-20's for the family for travel). I too prefer diaphragms......

I wonder if it is a lube issue somewhere in the first stage....

Last edited:
Locks and creeps...you are right it stopped creeping at just over 140 and doesn't seem to be getting any higher with now about 30 bar left. With 30 bar it looks like a slow creep...

get the tank filled, and see what happens at higher pressure.

It does whistle....on occasion, rather high pitched. Although this reg is new I have no idea how long it's been sitting...it was bought on auction and not from a shop...

Yes, I'll do that tomorrow, it's expensive at $15 a tank, but not much I can do about that I guess. I'll post back tomorrow after I get a full tank and try it again. Thanks for your help Bob and of course Couv for your enlightening earlier contribution, the leak in both 2nds was doing my head in.

I'm sitting here with 3 G250 & 1 G200B seconds (all picked up used) I have stripped down and cleaned, ready to be put together. One is actually a G200 that will become a G250 through a parts swap/upgrade. One was almost a write off as it was in bad shape upon arrival. I know somewhere in this pile will be a "challenge"...... Been procrastinating it......

I'm gonna stick with this until it's sorted, it's now become a challenge. I'll check again with full tank. Re tune them with my functioning diaphragm reg. Will then attack the MK25.

Is it possible that it might settle after a few more dives as it's new or am I dreaming?

it could, but that "whistle" makes me think it's lube or a nicked/bad o-ring..... IIRC, the harmonics are usually a piston lube issue. It might contribute to the creep, but I'd defer to Couv, AWAP, Zung, etc.... I'm years behind these guys...

Yes, hoping one of our resident gurus wades in at some point..I've had the whistling issue with both other piston regs I owned but it was not accompanied by any IP creep, just a very irritating squeal which ruined my diving chi...

Back
Top Bottom