G9/G-10/G-11/G-12 upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xariatay - I had to go back and look. I didn't have my reading glasses when I wrote that reply so I was like, "doh, did I misread it?". I think you might be looking at the "without battery" weights. With battery, per dpreview specs pages, the Canon G9 is 370g and the G11 is 375g.

In practice while shooting, I definitely agree that the G11 feels a little better in the hands. On the flip side, if you are the guy (me) trying to cram one of those bricks into a pocket in your shorts when you go out to some island bar on vacation, then the G9 is an ever so slightly smaller and lighter brick. :)

I've just about decided that my next camera will be in the S95 series just for the above reason, so we can still just take 2 cameras and housings on dive vacations but at least one of them will easily fit in a pocket!

Xariatay - I had to go back and look. I didn't have my reading glasses when I wrote that reply so I was like, "doh, did I misread it?". I think you might be looking at the "without battery" weights. With battery, per dpreview specs pages, the Canon G9 is 370g and the G11 is 375g.

In practice while shooting, I definitely agree that the G11 feels a little better in the hands. On the flip side, if you are the guy (me) trying to cram one of those bricks into a pocket in your shorts when you go out to some island bar on vacation, then the G9 is an ever so slightly smaller and lighter brick. :)

I've just about decided that my next camera will be in the S95 series just for the above reason, so we can still just take 2 cameras and housings on dive vacations but at least one of them will easily fit in a pocket!

Lucky you, looks like the S95 is now available at Newegg.

Yeah Blueskys4ever, I've been watching it pretty closely. :)

To date I haven't found any glowing reviews on the S95, In fact there have been a couple of posts indicating the S95 might not be quite as nice as the S90 in some areas. When the more professional reviews get posted we'll see what those guys think (e.g. dpreview, Steve's).

The G9 really is a nice little camera, so I'm not in a whole lot of hurry.

If you get the G12, make sure to post some pics and your impressions so us "late adopters" can see what we're missing!

Banon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom