G9 now... or wait for G10?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dimension and control of G10 seem similar as G9. I am wondering whether we still can use the G9 housing - WPDC-21 for G10.
I noted there's slightly difference control on G10; on the location of ISO selector now they use for EV adjustment and they stack the ISO selector and Mode selector on the location of Mode selector.
I assume if we use WPDC-21 for G10; the only function not available is the mode selection only.
So if I can live with say - manual mode only - I don't have to buy new housing for G10.
Anybody can confirm ?
Im pretty sure you CANT use the G9 housing for the G10, just as you cant use the G7 housing for the G9 (there was no G8) because of the (probably minor) design changes. Not only because you wont fit perfectly with the controls, but also because there might be some severe leak issues thats not very good for your camera..
I wouldnt bet my camera on using a G9 housing for a G10 in any case and its not like the Canon housings are EXPENSIVE..

I am going to Maldives in one month and just bought the g9 (see my website g9underwater.wordpress.com). I'm wondering if the g10 wide angle will give similar results than my g9+ikelite wide angle or less performance. Anyone knows ? I decided to buy the G9 because i didnt want to wait for the ikelitehousing (not available yet).

RAW is so much easier than manual white balance setting etc.

Plenty of things on a typical photo to set it off. A white tank, a reg, some computers. Divers have lots of neutral tones about their person.

i just bought the g9 from 86st photo online, for 289.00 +tax&s&h, 300&change

I was just wondering if your camera has arrived and works? This seems like such a good deal ($150-$200 cheaper then everywhere else) and I'm wondering if there's a 'catch'.

I have been debating for a couple of months now whether to go G9, A720 or A570 for my trip in December... I had been thinking of going with a cheaper camera and an ikelite housing, but for this price I might be tempted to upgrade the camera!

I was just wondering if your camera has arrived and works? This seems like such a good deal ($150-$200 cheaper then everywhere else) and I'm wondering if there's a 'catch'.

I have been debating for a couple of months now whether to go G9, A720 or A570 for my trip in December... I had been thinking of going with a cheaper camera and an ikelite housing, but for this price I might be tempted to upgrade the camera!

I saw that price too and did a bit of investigating. From reading reviews on CNET and other review sites it looks like 86th St Photo is a scam.

It goes like this....

After you order you order your camera on line they send you an e-mail asking to call and "confirm" your order.

When you call in they put a high pressure sales pitch on you to buy batteries and memory cards at 5X what you could buy them for elsewhere.

If you refuse to purchase the outrageously priced accessories, they send you another e-mail saying that the item you purchased is on backorder and that it will be 6 - 8 weeks before your item will arrive.

If you decide to try to wait it out, after a few weeks they send you an e-mail to cancel your order.

Thanks so much Bill_PNW_Diver, you saved me a lot of headaches! I guess what they say is true... If it's too good to be true, it probably is!

I saw that price too and did a bit of investigating. From reading reviews on CNET and other review sites it looks like 86th St Photo is a scam.

It goes like this....

After you order you order your camera on line they send you an e-mail asking to call and "confirm" your order.

When you call in they put a high pressure sales pitch on you to buy batteries and memory cards at 5X what you could buy them for elsewhere.

If you refuse to purchase the outrageously priced accessories, they send you another e-mail saying that the item you purchased is on backorder and that it will be 6 - 8 weeks before your item will arrive.

If you decide to try to wait it out, after a few weeks they send you an e-mail to cancel your order.

From some of my web searches I've found there are a number of web stores like that. I found a site that was offering the G9 for $238.00. I did some searches to find reviews of the store and poeple were saying the same "bait and switch" techniques were used. Evidentially there are a number of stores like this that use a New York store front address. They don't actually give an address on their web site other then New York. If you do a google search for retailer reviews or some are also found on this site Store Ratings and Reviews by Real People - Trusted Online Shopping, they will give a rating on customer satisfaction.

One of the main issues (and potential issues for price) with uw cameras and housings is wether or not you can (and want/need to) use the internal flash. I was looking into a few different options and cameras with a "pop up" flash quickly struck me as quite a lot more expensive to be able to use a flash with..
I just went with the (then top G-series) G7 and a canon housing. A quick CHDK later and I havent regreted it for a second. I might be upgrading it in the future to a more expensive setup, but a G-series with a basic housing is a good way to take decent shots while getting some experience with UW photography.
I do drool a bit when I see dSLRs with a dual strobe setup and the works though, but I cant quite justify it yet..

I just went to Best Buy in Tucson and found the G10 in the backroom. The merchant is not supposed to put it out on display until the 5th. They sold one while I was there.

Ive actually decided that ill try using one card per dive from now on.. Keeps it easier both to keep track of which pictures is from which dives without starting to go through timestamps, as well as as it being easier not to run out of space.
Downside is of course that ill need to (safely) replace the cards between dives..

To quickly differentiate between pictures on dives a have a little trick that saves me time later. On dive two or three I hold up 2 or 3 fingers respectively and take a quick picture of my hand. You can shoot in low res to save space. When I am sorting through my photos later I just look for the picture of my hand to know where the cut off is between dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom