G9 strobe choice opinion needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drandazzo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am looking to purchase a strobe set-up for my Canon G9 which is hosed in an Ikelite housing. I am looking at either the Substrobe DS-51 or the Substrobe DS-125. There is quite a price difference in the 2 set-ups. With the less expensive DS-51 set-up, I will be able to purchase the wide angle lens and/or a macro lens. I am leaning towards the DS-51 so I can purchase the extras lenses and ports. However, I don’t want to sacrifice flash power, quality, output, etc. just so I can have the extra lenses and ports. Anyone have any opinions, experience, etc. with a G9 and either of these 2 strobe choices.

Thanks!

Well I use the cheaper, lower power option (DS51)! Yes, it will be underpowered if you expect to light fish/people from more than a few feet.

However, the general recommendation (for any strobe) is to not try to illuminate anything further than 6 feet away. This is more because of the way the strobe's colour will change over distance than the 'keep as little as possible water between lens and subject' argument.

At less than a few feet (including macro) the DS51 is superb, particularly as it takes full advantage of the G9's eTTL capability. Note that it will flash twice in TTL mode, the second flash being the actual photo. No big deal, as the flashes are close together, but bear in mind you need to keep the subject in the field of view for slightly longer than in manual flash mode. I always use TTL.

For macro, I use aperture priority F8, to extend field of view (and ISO 80 to cut down noise). TTL flash takes care of the rest. :wink:

I had a DS-51 with my G7/Ike kit. It performed OK, but there were a few times when I borrowed a DS-125, and it was amazingly better. The DS-51 is OK with macro, but not great with WA. I came second in a local shootout earlier in the year using a DS-125, which I'm sure made all the difference!

My suggestion, if you've got the money, get the DS-125. Or, the new DS-160 looks even better. You'll need either of these for a wide angle lens.

Upon saying that though, you'll love having a wide angle lens on there as well! No one said this was a cheap hoby.

There's a link to my gallery in my signature, 90% of those photos are with the DS-51.

Hope that's some help,
Ryan.

Another thought, I know a few people have mentioned they're going to sell their DS-125's with the release of the DS-160. Might be worth keeping an eye on the clasifieds here and on wetpixel.com (or even putting up a WTB post).

I use twin DS-51's and the general consensus here is correct, they are fantastic close up. The issue with the DS-51 and WA is the beam is quite narrow. Typically for WA you are going to position your strobes so they point out slightly away from your subject, this doesn't work very well with a narrow beam. Since most of my diving is here in So. Cal where the vis tends to lend itself more towards close up shooting (of course there are some exceptions) this wasn't a huge problem for me so I opted to get the TWO DS-51's vs. the single DS-125.

Down the road I will probably pick up a DS-125 (or two) as well though. :wink:

The issue with the DS-51 and WA is the beam is quite narrow.
Thanks - I should have mentioned that I do not have the short port + wet WA lens.

The OP's stated reason for looking at DS-51 was so he could afford WA. This could well be a bad choice in that case.

Kadleck, Aussie Diver, and paradicio - thanks for all your input. Nice photos Aussie Diver!! Most of my diving is here in FL or other warm water locations. I think that the sensible choice is going to be the DS-125.

Most of my diving is here in FL or other warm water locations. I think that the sensible choice is going to be the DS-125.

From what I've seen, FL seems to have some great diving (not that I've been to the US yet). Must be one of the only places off the US with warm clear water, right?

We're fairly lucky here, not too far from the tropics, although Brisbane is about an hour away from the caost.

Good call about the 125 by the way :wink: I just picked up my new Inon Z240 (and will get another if ever our dollar goes back up), really looking forward to seeing how that goes compared to the old DS-51!

As someone looking closely at a g10 ikelite setup thanks to everyone for the informative posts. There are some awesome pics in Aussie divers gallery.

Ok I am about ready to pull the trigger and order my DS-125 strobe. What do you all use/recommend; the #3944.75 with Ikelite TTL sync cord or #3944.77 with EV Manual Controller? I spoke with Ikelite and they told me the recommended choice is the #3944.75 with Ikelite TTL sync cord.

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom