G9 w/ikelite housing & DS 125 Question - Strobe beeping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fq8526

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just received my ikelite housing and DS125 strobe for my G9. When everything is on the strobe constantly beeps, every 5 seconds or so (I'm not talking about the whining beep after a shot). A google/scubaboard search hasn't been super helpful, seems it isn't normal though. The beeping happens whether strobe is set to TTL or manual modes and regardless of camera settings.

Anyone know what this means/how to fix? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I have never had that happen. Did you try calling the place you bought it from. I have found mine to be very helpful.

That happened to me once. I believe the cause was the dial switch being sort of stuck "in between" settings. Have you checked all the connections?

Ahh, found the following which might explain what i meant better:

Beep! Beep! Beep! If at any time while testing or diving, the DS 125 beeps continuously it's not set right or it's broken. The DS 125 should only beep on two occasions --- when firing at full power and sometimes when turning the strobe off and then on. And in these two occasions it should only beep one time.

If the strobe is beeping continuously and you are using the manual controller, make sure the manual controller is not set between settings. A possible "fix" with the manual controller is to set the DS 125 strobe to 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, or full instead of TTL. Then control the power with the strobe power settings --- the manual controller settings have no effect when the manual controller is used this way. If this works, keep on taking pictures and get the controller and strobe checked by Ikelite when it is convenient to you.

Another cause of continuous beeping is flooding of the DS 125. So if it starts beeping during a dive and the above "fix" doesn't work, open the strobe with care when you are out of the water to avoid possible problems with battery acid leakage.

Thanks for the replies. That and everything I've found seems to indicate that the beeping is abnormal or problematic, but I just spoke to Backscatter (seller) and they tell me its perfectly normal and that "some" of the DS125s do that... :confused:

I'm going to send it back. Beeping underwater is no good.

Well now I'm told that all new Ikelite DS125 digital strobes will do this beeping, to let you know that its on... There is no way to turn it off. This seems like really poor decision making to me, sounds just like my computer beep.

I've swapped it for a z-240.

Sheesh, that is ridiculous. Who wants to be "that guy" that is beeping all the time.

Sheesh, that is ridiculous. Who wants to be "that guy" that is beeping all the time.

:rofl3:

I could hear the conversation on the dive boat:

"You know that guy Jake"
"Beep beep beep beep"
"Yeah, that's him"

When my ds-125 did that, the battery flooded. Have you contacted Ike?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom