Galapagos Planning - August 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Racer_X

Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks - got a question for you all that have dived Galapagos.

My family is going on a Disney Cruise to the Galapagos. There's references to scuba diving, so while I'm verifying that I'm trying to figure out how to invest in being ready. Aside from the usual working out / increasing lung capacity / etc, I'd like to specifically understand the skills I need for the dives there. I'd love to see hammerheads, been a fan of them since I was a kid.

This summer I've been knocking off rust - so doing Key West for a couple of days. I've also been teaching my son diving skills so he can get certified. I've got my AOW. Next summer after he get his OW, I'm thinking Nitrox and drift for both of us, and AOW for him. Any suggestions / validation? We're in the midwest, so sites are limited.

I'm thinking Nitrox
Even though you won't be going to Darwin & Wolf, there still is incredible diving in the Galapagos. Since you'll want to extend your bottom times, you are correct that Nitrox and AOW is best. Since it isn't an actual 3000 guest Disney ship, as the travel agent you will have a great trip. Quinto is your arrival airport and I'd recommend adding days before/after and heading into the closeby mountains to try ziplining, birds, Equator and other mountain activities. Probably the biggest thing I wish I did when I went is to upgrade/rent a nice camera with a good lens for all the topside shots you'll get. A cellphone camera won't cut it. Enjoy your trip!!

My family is going on a Disney Cruise to the Galapagos. There's references to scuba diving, so while I'm verifying that I'm trying to figure out how to invest in being ready. Aside from the usual working out / increasing lung capacity / etc, I'd like to specifically understand the skills I need for the dives there. I'd love to see hammerheads, been a fan of them since I was a kid.

This summer I've been knocking off rust - so doing Key West for a couple of days. I've also been teaching my son diving skills so he can get certified. I've got my AOW. Next summer after he get his OW, I'm thinking Nitrox and drift for both of us, and

This summer I've been knocking off rust - so doing Key West for a couple of days. I've also been teaching my son diving skills so he can get certified. I've got my AOW. Next summer after he get his OW, I'm thinking Nitrox and drift for both of us, and AOW for him. Any suggestions / validation? We're in the midwest, so sites are limited.
August great month for diving the Galapagos Islands water is high sixties in Santa Cruz and Isabela .What island will you guys base in? I could suggest to you a dive shop and itineraries for day trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom