Garmin entering the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This looks brilliant.

And if I were working full time and diving in Asia again I'd certainly get one. I think it touches a part of the market which is currently only being covered by Suunto which is that it's a pretty dive computer that looks like a watch. But it has the added benefit of being able to do so much more.

In reality the most hardcore techies are still going to get the shearwater - and I can't see many CCR users switching to it. But for normal open circuit technical diving, I think it would be brilliant.

Does anyone know if they are offering any sort of instructor discount? I'm not that bothered about lack of AI - and wouldn't mind getting my paws on this.

Nice video but it would have been better if you asked him why no AI or CCR mode.
AI is on their "to do" list.
CCR will be dependent on a wireless solution. It's NOT on their "to do" list. It's why Shearwater never has to worry about me making a jump to Garmin.

Pre-video I asked him about underwater navigation and integration into their VIRB. He was careful not to make any promises or admissions that they were trying to resolve the issues. It's obvious to me that they are!!! As for the VIRB, they are trying to get the two to integrate. Could be cool as the VIRB already has inertia navigation built in. You can't access it during the dive, but I believe that you can see it after the fact.

:deadhorse: :poke: cable included. Current computer manufacturers handed Garmin a marketing tool that is barely worth mentioning in any of their other computer lines.

I get that scuba is a bit of a niche market but this one is annoying as sin for me.

PS, Thank you Chairman for the interview/videos.

I think it touches a part of the market which is currently only being covered by Suunto which is that it's a pretty dive computer that looks like a watch. But it has the added benefit of being able to do so much more.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I've been looking to replace my D6i with something that's more user friendly in the battery department, but I want to stick with something that can be used like a regular watch. I have no real interest in AI because I've had it for years and rarely use it anyway.

I'd love to try one of these out because it looks like it will meet my weekday needs as well.

I started in the 70's with Assembler. Moved to Basic, then Fortran, Pascal and LISP. Ended up using C++ for years. I know the internals of a computer pretty well.

Confession: I have no idea what my web dev daughter is talking about at work. A few years ago, the Computer Science dep at her school invited me to talk about the history of programming languages. At first I was insulted but ended up loving it because the kids were really interested in someone who had to use a CLI which they thought was way kewl. I now go back every year to talk as a dinosaur.
Real programmers don't write pascal :)

These days a lot of 'development' is constructing very complicated configuration files for some framework with a stupid name.

For my current job I had to go back to using vi...

Real programmers don't write pascal

I’m not a real programmer. I’m a math guy who only uses software to help solve math problems! I was taught Pascal by Wirth but dissapointed him by refusing to use Prolog. It was useful because we needed recursion in 1978 and the alternative was LISP. Ultimately I ended up using Turbo Pascal (anyone remember Borland?).

Real programmers don't write pascal :)

We don't, now. But we did, back in the day...

.Ultimately I ended up using Turbo Pascal (anyone remember Borland?).

We used TurboPascal for some classes in college. What a POS that was!

I came to my first year of college having just spent the summer writing OMSI Pascal on a DEC PDP/11 all summer, working for my friend's dad's consulting company in Seattle. It was way better than writing in BASIC on the PDP/11.

Real programmers use copycon.

Real programmers use punch cards.

If it's not in FORTRAN, it's not programming.

[/hijack]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom