Gas algorithms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a look at "Basic Decompression, Theory and Application" and "Technical Diving in Depth", both from Bruce R. Wienke, the author of RGBM decompression model.

Please let me know if you'd like to discuss turning this into a SourceForge project or something eventually. I'll take a closer look at your site when I'm less tired ;-)

I'm looking for an interesting programming project and if I can combine it with diving, then hey. I have a lot of downtime at work. I know Java and C so I don't think I'd have a big problem with C++, although I'm a Linux guy. I still remember basic Calculus and did well in physics once upon a time, so I should be able to help with some of the physics if I crack a text.

Have you thought about doing a probabilistic model rather than a traditional deterministic or bubble model?

Due to the potential number of parameters involved, such a model could become a full time project in it's own right. Not to mention sourcing adequate data by which to calculate the probabilities.

The main focus of my degree project needs to be on the creation of a distributed application. The physics was important to me to give some sense of realistic behaviour within the simulation, however I won't get extra points for the maths that has gone into it. The degree markers will be more interested in the network multi user aspect, and whether I have stayed true to my original project plan.

The beauty of it being developed as an Object Oriented application however, mean that elements of it can be easily modified, so there's always the option of replacing the bubble model with an alternative further down the line.

Please let me know if you'd like to discuss turning this into a SourceForge project or something eventually. I'll take a closer look at your site when I'm less tired ;-)

I'm looking for an interesting programming project and if I can combine it with diving, then hey. I have a lot of downtime at work. I know Java and C so I don't think I'd have a big problem with C++, although I'm a Linux guy. I still remember basic Calculus and did well in physics once upon a time, so I should be able to help with some of the physics if I crack a text.

The physics is pretty much complete, at least for the stage I've reached, Buhlmann's bubble algorithm is adapted into the code, and appears to be producing the expected results. Boyles law is working in much the same regard, with air consumption and BCD behavior doing pretty much what I expect them to do.
The only thing I'm a little unhappy with is the Ascent and descent rates, so there's something amiss there. But as the model is now useable, I'm ready to bolt an Open GL UI onto it, and add some TCP/IP functionality.

Sadly as it's a part of my degree project, I'm not allowed to share the project, as it has to be my own work. I am only allowed to source information that I need to complete it.

However, this said, there's no reason why I can't turn it into an open source project after it's been marked, and I have been awarded my degree.

I anticipate that at the time I submit it, it'll still be really just a framework. There will be a lot of scope to add different marine environments into it, and a whole host of rendered objects, not to mention the potential for player to player interaction. Tech diving etc. I've already got a graphic designer friend, working on very realistic 3d skeletal modelled fish, and already have a hammerhead shark rendered and ready to roll (See Attached).
There's only one aspect I'm having serious difficulty with at present, and that's importing Cinema 4D skeletal models into OpenGL. Which is why my shark is presently a fish out of water. :)

Attachments

• Shark_V2.JPG
    Shark_V2.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 46
  • image_thumb[1] 56586266.jpg
    image_thumb[1] 56586266.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image_thumb[3].jpg
    image_thumb[3].jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 35
Due to the potential number of parameters involved, such a model could become a full time project in it's own right. Not to mention sourcing adequate data by which to calculate the probabilities.

I get it and it is a full time job for several friends of mine. The Navy has published their data sets and models to allow one to re-create their own version of those models from their "primary" data sets. I was just thinking it would be really cool to see one that was publicly accessible.

If anyone wants to know more for a project like this, the first 11 of the 12 "Statistically Based Decompression Tables" technical reports are listed and available on our ''suggested reading list".

Good luck on the project!

The only thing I'm a little unhappy with is the Ascent and descent rates, so there's something amiss there. But as the model is now useable, I'm ready to bolt an Open GL UI onto it, and add some TCP/IP functionality.

Quick (and hopefully not insultingly obvious) question about your ascent and descent rate calcs: Did you include drag in the force summation on the diver? As in, Fdrag = 0.5*AreaProjected*CoeffDrag*FluidDensity*Velocity^2, if I correctly remember my fluid mechanics. Although what the heck's the frontal area and drag coefficient of an ascending/descending diver in sea water? Something to play around with, I suppose, if you haven't tried already.

Great project!

Cheers.

_____

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom