Gas prices affecting you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas:
Oh yeah.....at $1.021 a liter...definitely, but still go. That diesel VW Jatta Wagon is looking better and better every day, but if only they would do something to the weight capacity. Carrying 2 sets of doubles and stage bottles is really not a healthy thing for that car (I have doubts that the suspension would even take it - heck with me in the truck the springs are compressed to 80%)

Actually the VW Jetta Wagon has a better load rating than all of the small SUVs (CRV, Escape, etc). It is rated for 1000 lbs which is only marginally smaller than most of the mid sized SUVs which are typically about 1100-1300 lbs. Doing some quick math...
2 people at 500 lbs total
2 sets of doubles at 220 lbs total
2 stage/deco bottles at 80 lbs
That leaves 200 lbs for other miscellaneous gear. Seems adequate, maybe I am underestimating the loads but I know my wife and I have no problem carting all my SCUBA gear plus camping gear (and we don't pack light) plus a child plus pets into her wagon.

Yeah.... Honda CRV is a gasoline digger...... Specially, with turning on the air conditioner, I can’t believe that this is a Japanese car. :06:

smoritz0370:
Actually the VW Jetta Wagon has a better load rating than all of the small SUVs (CRV, Escape, etc). It is rated for 1000 lbs which is only marginally smaller than most of the mid sized SUVs which are typically about 1100-1300 lbs. Doing some quick math...
2 people at 500 lbs total
2 sets of doubles at 220 lbs total
2 stage/deco bottles at 80 lbs
That leaves 200 lbs for other miscellaneous gear. Seems adequate, maybe I am underestimating the loads but I know my wife and I have no problem carting all my SCUBA gear plus camping gear (and we don't pack light) plus a child plus pets into her wagon.

well for our Honda CRV ( 98 ) we get 9.7 litres per 100/Km..

Tobermory is about 300 KM from my house So i would use just about 60 litres of gas for the round trip.. at $1.02 per litre im spending almost $62.. then concider the cost of the charter, camp ground, equitment rental and food.. its gets costly!

and thats baised on a Empty truck and no AC :( SO im sure its more than that!

I have been limiting my dive trips because of the price of gas. With the truck getting 20 MPG they have been short hauls for a weekend.

I have seen so many reports that this isn't affecting the economy but I don't see how it isn't.

Wow. I can't really complain anymore, gas here is $2.50 a gallon. Apparently, it's still rising. Argh. I think I better get the bikes greased up and fix the flats, it might be time to start riding in to work instead of driving.

H2Andy:
the big factors driving the prices up are refining problems and worries over the possibility of Iran getting sanctioned by the united nations over their nuclear program.
also, don't forget Chavez (in Venezuela) making noises that he is going to stop
shipments to the US... all in all, an uncertain market, and an uncertain market
means higher prices

basically what you are seeing are "fears over supply" translating to "higher prices"
(the scarcer the commodity may be in the future, the more people will pay for it now)

One of the largest factors for North America is that there has not been a new refinery built in 25 or 26 years and the current have been running at or near 90+% capacity for some time now. It doesn't make a difference how much supply gets to them, there is only so much they'll produce no matter what. Basic laws of Supply and Demand say that when supply is constant and demand is higher than supply, price with rise until the market says it won't bear any further rise.

I saw someone on the news the other day saying, "I'm just waiting for someone to stand up and do something about it."

O.K.... so what can we do about it? Yawl in Canada are paying more than I am.. I'm paying $2.58 gal to upwards of $2.80 a gal.. It's putting a crimp on my driving even 60 miles north to my favorite close dive site much less driving around town. My prices for work have had to go up 25% just to meet the cost of driving around, thus I'm passing it on to my clients, which means they'll have to charge more sooner or later to since I'm not the only contractor most places use.

Diesel is out. It's clocking in at $2.70 a gal here.

I'd consider a hybrid if they weren't $15k more than I could sell my Wrangler for.. I don't think they could haul around a trailer with equipment either.. could they?

CBulla:
... parts of post snipped ...

Diesel is out. It's clocking in at $2.70 a gal here.

This is what kills me... If I understand correctly (maybe I don't), diesel does not have to be refined to the degree that gasoline does. So ... why is it more expensive?

My big question...Do we truly have any competition in the oil market? Maybe we do, maybe we don't...I would just feel better if I knew with absolute certainty that we did.

Just random thoughts, not trying to light a fire...

3dent:
OK, couldn't resist. Did you mean ships?

lol... nope, i meant shops

should probably have said something like "shops with dive boats" for clarity

The biggest surprise (sarcasm doesn't have the same feel in writing :)) is that all the oil companies have had record profit years the last few years... I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but all these companies are in "cohoots" (sp?) - I call shenanigans!
Here's another interesting thing I heard about hybrids or electric cars... the price of the entire car is recovered in about 7 years as you would spend the same $$$ in gas alone. I know this will be different and based on a per driver basis as some people drive alot further than others, but thought I would put it out there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom