Gas switching computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to me that, when you get to the point where you'd be switching between gasses during a dive, a Suunto Vytec would probably not be the ideal computer for you anyway.

What it tells me is, don't bother with the Vytec, get the Vyper. If one day I do start switching between gasses, I'd probably want to get a computer that can deal with Trimix as well.

Sounds like a plan.

I'v used a cobra for years of rec. diving. I'v used it for a few years in gauge mode as a backup BT for the deco plans that were cut using V-planer. I recently upgraded to an X1. That should last me until I'm too old & useless to play anymore.

Sure, but how many divers actualy do this? Is this common practice? Common enough to warrant making a dive computer to cater for it or is it realy just a gimmick to sell the computer?
I wonder if the question relates to the distinction between the utlity of multigas computers, and computers that allow gas switching during a dive. As others have suggested, it is probably not a gimmick. Maybe Suunto moved in that direction as a prototype for a planned future multi-gas trimix computer. Who knows? But, for recreational diving, the added value of a gas-switching-enabled computer is minimal. The value of a multigas computer, or at least a nitrox-capable computer, is much greater, of course. One of my computers is a Vytec, and I can count on one hand the number of times I used gas-switching during a recreational dive made within NDLs. In all cases, I was carrying a pony bottle that contained something different than my back gas - I used the Vytec to switch to air from nitrox at depth on two deep dives, and to switch from air to nitrox during ascents in several other cases. None of the switches were critical, BTW. I also bought the Vytec because of a sense that I would like to pursue tech at some time in the future, which I did. If you pursue deco diving, there is considerable additional value for those dives in the 100-130' range, where you simply want to stay longer than NDLs, or air dives to 165', for example (and, no, I am not trying to open that issue for discussion). I use the Vytec for deco dives where I am not using any helium, and it is great. I even use it as a back-up for trimix dives, where I use a Nitek He as the primary.

Deefstes has already decided on a Suunto, so that he and his wife will be on the same algorithm, so the recommendation for other brands is not terribly useful.

I don't know anybody who does gas switches without using helium bottom mixes. I know people do. It's technical diving, and you don't need that capability. The Vyper should do you fine.

Thanks TSandM. I should add that I asked the question in part to get clarity on whether I should go for the Vyper or the Vytec but mostly out of genuine curiosity on a level of diving that I know little of. I found the answers interesting indeed so the suggestions of other brands were not entirely wasted and in fairness, the posters in this thread might not have known of my descision to stick with Suunto.

Any thoughts on a VT3 as a multi-gas/deco computer? I think I read on LP that when switching to a 2nd gas, it could only be air or something like that, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Probably the 2 leading Trimix computers are the Liquivision X-1 (around $1,800) and the Shearwater Pursuit ($1,400) Serious tools for big dives,overkill for most.

What about Cochran? does anyone have a feeling of how they fit in the range of Trimix multi-gas computers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom