Gathering Ideas and Topics for new course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How to survive a boat overfilled with testosterone.

You dive here much?

Not anymore! LOL

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Ah!

Now I understand your comment.

Things have changed from the old ways. Conditions are the same, but the attitude is gone. I was baptized in the NE Atlantic by the late Joe Terzuoli (Captain Zero) on the John Jack. Note my boat shirt next to Captain Rich's re-invention of the boat. Captain Rich did a remarkable job. Fabulous Boat.

JJ_OldAndNew.jpeg

I also like the Independence II. Even I can get onto those boats, things have changed. :D
You used to have to be SOMEBODY to get onto the Wahoo, now the Garloo -I've been on the Garloo, another fabulous boat. And on and on...

Give it another try next time you find yourself passing by.

-Cheers.

I can attest that the attitude is gone for the most part. When I started getting on the boats it was intimidating and the guys crewing made you know that the dive shop you came with weren't the type of divers they wanted on the boat.

I think things have changed dramatically. And the guys running boats now and really helping the newer divers get there experience on these great wrecks.

Another topic, lifted from a thread on another message forum:

1) How much to tip the crew on a dive boat.

2) What you can do on a dive boat on your own, and what you need to ask permission for. (Never jump in the water for a between dive surface swim without asking the Captain's permission)

3) Who's responsible for making sure your rental gear is in good shape before you jump in?

#3 isn't really common here in NY where the dive boats only provide the platform for which to dive. Is that common in NJ that boats supply rental gear like the carib?

Lots of new divers haven't purchased all their own gear yet. Or if you're doing a boat checkout dive for AOW, you may have rental gear. Besides, the point is that you are responsible for your own dive kit, just because you're using someone else's gear doesn't relieve you of that responsibility.

If you rent tanks, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put your regulator on them before getting to the boat to make sure the O-rings are okay. Better than having to deal with it on a boat tossing up and down in the swells.

Renting a wetsuit - how's the zipper? Do you just assume the last person to rent it didn't have a problem? You may as well check it, otherwise when you jump in the ocean, it's going to be your problem.

If you rent a BC, you want to make sure it fits and you know where the straps and adjustment points are.

Or if you don't like the idea, then don't include it in your class.

DSAO

An SMB thread reminded me of the 'art' of shooting a lift bag so a tied-in boat can retrieve it. If the bag surfaces downstream of the boat you aren't going to be very popular with captain or crew.

Shoot from the tie-in or up-current. Stay on point, when the bag is hooked and retrieved you are going to have a real mess to contend with when your clip and line are thrown clear of the upline. Not like you are going to watch it happen either, all green water, all 'feel'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom