GC airport in mid-June: what to expect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've read some of the horror stories about the airport, especially on Saturdays. Although it's encouraging that renovations are on-going, as of February the posts here on SB indicate there are still big problems.

5 of us are arriving at 10:45AM on Saturday, June 9th. Does anyone have recent experiences to share? Are we still likely to spend 2 hours on the tarmac in the sun before getting to immigration?

More importantly, we're departing on Wednesdays; how much extra time should we allow? Arrive at airport 2 hours ahead? 3 hours?

Many thanks!
-Don

Edited: flight arrives at 10:45AM on Saturday, not in the afternoon.

Last edited:
They are making pretty good progress with the renovation, considering how slow things move here. That said I've had 3 trips through GCM in the past few months. Some days you can breeze through customs, other days I see the line out on the tarmac.

The variable seems to be how many flights arrive at the same time as yours. On Saturday's from 1:30 - 4:00 PM there are 9 flights arriving. If a few of those get delayed, and arrive near each other, it will cause chaos.

On the way out you should be fine with 2 hours ahead of your flight.

Recent arrivals have been much less problematic. We had several sets of visitors in late March and first two weeks of April that I picked up at the airport on weekends, a couple who arrived on Saturday, and they all got through in less than an hour. And that was peak season. June should be a bit more reasonable. And you can check out the meet and greet service, which we use (mostly because our dog goes nuts waiting in line after 10 minutes).

Meet and Greet Service – CEO’s Welcome

Departing on a Wednesday will probably be relatively quick. For example, this afternoon (Tues) there are only 12 flights departing all day; 5 before 7:30 am and the other 7 spread out between noon and 5 pm. You can check online or on cable tv to see how many flights are leaving at the same time as you.

Grand Cayman flight departures status online - CIAA

Last edited:
Any chance that you are flying Cayman Airways via Miami? They are now offering a fast-track Cayman immigration process:

Fast track passengers bypass airport crowds | Cayman Compass
We're on non-stop flights from Philadelphia, so no fast track this time. It would be ironic if the time saved with the non-stop equals the time saved with Fast track via MIA!

We're on non-stop flights from Philadelphia, so no fast track this time. It would be ironic if the time saved with the non-stop equals the time saved with Fast track via MIA!

I always prefer a non-stop when I can get one, fewer chances for something to go wrong - and usually shorter travel time.

So @dberry , I stepped off the aircraft at 3:10 and was out on the sidewalk by 3:35. Waiting on bags was the only “delay”. That was extraordinarily fast compared to my previous trips. I really like what the Port Authority has done for arrivals. They have doubled (at least doubled) the number of immigration desks. They increased the size of the waiting area such that you could fit the entire passenger load inside the climate controlled area... and there was still a lot of room from another aircraft load. The greatly expanded the baggage pick up and now have 3-4 carousels... I forgot to actually count. More room for customs, as well, with more agents. We did not have to wait for customs. Friends that were travelling with us and were seated in the rear of the aircraft finished up maybe 5 minutes after us... but they also got off the aircraft 5 mins after we departed. Now this was a Wednesday arrival and not a Saturday tourist invasion, but based on what I saw, they have upped the capacity in both space and agents, so the old issues have probably been significantly mitigated.

I’ll let you know what I think when we depart next Wednesday! In the meantime, I’m enjoying getting wet again and making bubbles.

We have been through several times since January and really found it great and so happy with each new change. I think people have to be realistic and when they get up and running with the mobile passports, GE and other electronic innovations such as clearing Immigration in the departure country things will only continue to improve. Now if we could only get passengers to actually follow the rules about liquids, follow the rules about carry-ons and not to wear shoes with multiple fasteners, buckles, boots, etc., we could all move along faster!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom