GC stingray city ops question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talking with local boat owners I can confirm that the dive site hasn't really returned to activity since COVID when they weren't being fed. I don't know which dive ops are still doing trips out there.

When it comes to the sandbar (which isn't really a "snorkel site" - you are only in 3 feet of water and most people stand on the sand), there is a lot of mauling of the rays that I have witnessed and I find it really terrible.

One of the ops that expressly don't do this is Stingray Sailing that offers trips on their catamaran, includes a snorkel site and most definitely treat the animals with respect. There is no posing for photos (that they sell you later) or "stingray kisses" or whatever on earth they call it when they put the ray on your back... ugh. The rays stick around even after the food is gone, while other ops have to send their employees out to "catch" rays to bring back...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom