GCM to CYB Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

staggsSevin

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey Guys,

I booked a trip to Cayman Brac in August and I'm working on booking the flight from Grand Cayman to Cayman Brac. I'll be flying in and landing in Grand Cayman at 12:45pm and there is 1:45pm flight from GCM to CYB. I'm guessing that 1 hour probably wouldn't be long enough to get our bags, go through immigration and board the flight to cayman brac.

There are some later flights around 4:10pm that I'll probably book but just wanted to make sure that it can't be done without running through the airport like a mad man.

If it's a weekend, the airport can be very busy so that immigration and customs can take an hour. Checking in again for Cayman Airways can add another 15-30 minutes; after which you need to go through security again. I would take the later flight and avoid the stress.

On a week day, you might make the connection, but still iffy IMO.

Yep, sorry I forgot to mention that it would be on a Wednesday when we fly in. I think it's just to iffy to try to make the connection in 1 hour, I'll book the one a few hours later to be on the safe side.

Thanks!

On a Wednesday in August, I wouldn't worry at all about making that connection. We routinely fly in on a United flight on Saturday that gets into GCM late afternoon and catch the flight to LC with about a 50-60 min connection time. The only real worry is what happens if your plane is late getting in. You are very unlikely to have any trouble making it if your plane arrives on time.

Also, if you book the later flight and get in early enough, sometimes they will let you board the earlier flight if there is space.

Yep, sorry I forgot to mention that it would be on a Wednesday when we fly in. I think it's just to iffy to try to make the connection in 1 hour, I'll book the one a few hours later to be on the safe side.Thanks!

Once you go through immigration and customs to enter the Cayman Islands, you won't have to do it again to go to the sister islands. It's like flying from Illinois to Indiana - no need to go through immigration and customs.

It is a very quick process to go through the interisland travel counter to travel from Grand Cayman to Brac or Little. My experience has been that there are no lines and they just look at your ticket and waive you through.

Are both of your flights on Cayman Air? If they book the times for you then they will be responsible for making sure that you get there in case of delays. Have fun!

Last edited:
I've had significant delays at the counter in GC. They can be totally incompetent and inefficient. Even if you don't have to go through customs, you do have to go through security again. The safe move is to book the later flight but go right to the Cayman Express counter when you get in. If you get there in time and they have seats, they will probably put you on the earlier plane. I think Cayman air would only responsible for the transfer if you booked directly with them and not a wholesaler.

"Incompetent and inefficient"--yup.
Some years ago, our usual route to Little Cayman was to fly from Key west to Miami and then transfer to Cayman Airways (booked with them) for the trip to Grand and Little. One day when at the gate in Miami, the Cayman 737 was late and we and some others we had met there, were sure that we could not make our 5:00 connect to Little. The gate agent said "no problem, it's only a little late and we will call ahead and have them hold the Express for you." There were 6 of us at the Cayman Airways counter when the Express to Little left. Some of our checked bags had already been sent down the belt, and had to be retrieved, since they would not hold them over night until the first morning flight. Interestingly, every Friday on Little, they gather up baggage for Saturday flights and send them to Grand, where they are held at the airport until their owners arrive the next day. They gave us vouchers for cab, meals, and hotel, but these hardly equated to 2 missed dives the next morning.

Thanks for all the help! I think I'm going to go with the later flight to be on the safe side, if I make it in time and there is room I'll see about getting on the earlier flight though.

Back
Top Bottom