Gear advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

touf

Reaction score
Hi I am a newbie to this wonderful and expensive hobby :)
I am about to purchase my first set of scuba gear and I have spent the past 5 days looking around the web and forums for the right gear.
I have done lots of searches and looked at some reviews.
I decided to skip the entry level gear and get some better gear in order to keep it longer before I have to change it, I have used the same approach to other hobbies before and found it worked well for me.
So here is what i "almost" decided on and I am looking for some advice for or against my choices:

"Putting my flame suit on first", here it comes:

Mares Morphos pro BCD
Mares Proton Ice Extreme Reg
Mares Proton Octopus
Analog gauge (O2 press + Depth + Compass) Brand TBD
Wrist Computer (Brand TBD)

Looking forward to hear some comments and maybe some blasts as well :wink:

Touf, it would be helpful to know where you will be doing the majority of your dives before we can critique your selection.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

touf:
Mares Morphos pro BCD
Mares Proton Ice Extreme Reg
Mares Proton Octopus

Looking forward to hear some comments and maybe some blasts as well :wink:

This is almost the exact setup that I have, though I have the Proton Metal rather than Ice. I use Oceanic guages and have a Suunto Stinger computer.

Have to say that I am pleased with it.

As a note, asking for gear approvals on this board is kind of like asking the impossible. People have many different preferences and as a result will have many different recommendations. If you have done the research, and have ended up with this selection then go for it.

What are your justifications/reasons for choosing this gear setup?

Since you asked for our opinion. I would stay away from the off brands. I like aqualung, Seaquest and Scubapro. There are other good brands but these service plans are great. Whatever brand you decide on make sure you have free service on your gear for live.( you may have to pay for parts)
I saved about 300$ years ago on some gear but my dive shop does not service it so I have to pay extra to get it serviced. I always suggest to buy from your LDS for the best service and also you will meet great divers to dive with. Good Luck..... PS If you need any prices or information on Aqualung and Seaquest please let me know. CLay

Welcome to the board.

My suggestion would be to get some diving in first before making an equipment choice, you will be in a much better position to decide what is right for you. Rent or borrow equipment until you have a little bottom time.
That said, here are my comments on your choices. Unless you intend to dive in very cold water, there is no real need to go with the Ice Extreme reg. Mares makes a fine reg and any of their line would do nicely until you get into some serious diving. I totally agree with buying good equipment but I also believe there is a cost/benefit curve that you need to take into consideration. If you need a dump truck fine buy one but why buy one if you only need a full sized pickup.

I am not a big fan of jacket type BC's but that's a personal choice. The airtrim system may or may not be a good idea. It strikes me as more of a gimmick than something with real benefit but to be fair, I have not dove one so I may well be all wrong. A good BC will last for many years and I have concerns about the parts for the airtrim being around in 5 or 10 years. The standard LP hose on most BC's will be around for many years to come. It's also a lot simpler. I prefer robust and simple to fancy and complex.

I can tell you that a lot of experienced divers on this board prefer some form of back inflate BC, be it a BP/wing or other back inflate model. There are several reasons for this but the main ones are lack of clutter, better fit and better trim. Here again, some diving experience with different equipment will help you decide what is best for you.
There is nothing wrong with your choices but some money spent renting different gear and doing some actual diving may be a good idea.

If there is one thing that I have learned it is that you have to dive what you are comfortable with. Your selection seemes good but as it was said before I would be good to know where you are diving. I am guessing by the fact that you are thinking of a mares proton Ice that you will be diving in cold water. If this is the case the something to take into concideration is that in cold water due to the extra thikness of the wetsuit/drysuit you will be using more weight and therefor should have a BC that can handle that. Just to throw in my 2 cents I would go with anything made by Suunto I have had one for years and it contiunes to work no matter what diving I am doing.

FWIW, Mares is not considered to be an "Off brand". They produce some great gear and there is an ad for their regulator at an awesome price for ScubaBoard users right now.

If you do it this way its a waste . All you will need is a Pressure gauge (SPG) you computer will have depth on it , then get a wrist mount compass. Wrist mount is best , its always where you need it and its really easy to find.

TOUF,

Your gear is more likely to get changed out for being the wrong gear than it is for being "newbie gear" The most important thing is to get the right gear for you. You have identified a cold water regulator as a need and that is a good start. Getting what is right for you is most important in the BC where fit becomes a very personal thing. Test dive some rental or at least take some into store pools to know what you are getting. Since you have targeted a cold water regulator a drysuit is likely to be in your future, this needs to be considered in you BC fit.

What is "the best" to one diver may not be your preference. It's nice to learn from seasoned divers but they don't all dive the same configuration so you can see that there is no one answer.

Getting all of your "air" stuff from one brand is nice for servicing. I assume you have Mares service locally?

Pete

Just Got up and looking at this forum, let me answer some of the questions.

1 Where will I be diving: I live in San Diego so most of my diving will be there. My girlfriend is from Montreal so I go there a lot and I figured that since she is also getting started in diving that eventually we ould dive in Canada and on the eastern shore. This is where the cold water diving comes in. I also travel a lot for business and it takes me to places like India, Singapore, etc........ so there is definitely some Warm diving in my future. With this in mind, I wanted a regulator that I can use across the board rather than buying different regulators. After doing some research seemed like the Ice xtrm was a good fit for this.

2 The BC Choice I know this is a matter of confort and taste and if I asked a 100 divers their opinion of a BC, I would get 100 different answers. Now the reason I chose this particular BC ( Morphos Pro). When I was in the Maldives doing my certification dives, I used a Seaquest Jacqet style BCD. It felt great but of course I had nothing to compare it to. My instructor used the Morphos pro. On my last dive, he let me borrow his BCD while he used a spare BCD he had. It took me a bit to get used to the airtrim setup but once I had my buyoncy set right, i really liked ho it would keep me very horizontal. I really like this since I plan on doing lots of photography.
I also liked the fact that there was 1 less hose and therefore a bit less clutter.
The third reason for this choice is how compact the BC could fld into. Again since I travel a lot this is a + for me. Now while shopping around, I have seen much much compact BCs but again I guess I am a bit biased simce I tried this one on.

3 Why Mares? I am not sure hy I picked this brand other than for the fact that I really liked the BC I tried on, then I started looking at their other lines of equipment and liked the revies about the Reg mentionned previously. Now I haven t decided if I ll purchase this equipment online (ScubaToys seems like a great online retailler and always willing to give advice on this board) or if I ll go to my LDS. I am still in India and haven t made it back to SD. I totally agree that sometimes it is better to buy from your LDS even if it is a bit more expensive in order to get much more help going down the line however I also figured that I could get the BC, Reg and octo online, then get the rest of the gear + complete my classes and training locally thrugh my LDS which will help me get to know them better. This way I could get the best of both worlds.
As far as local service for Mares, I need to look into this but I figured there has to be a shop in So Cal who services Mares.

4 Rent before you buy.......get some more dives before buying This is probably a very very good piece of advice but it doesn t work very well for me. I have tried this approach with tennis, Golf and for My race Go Kart.
I found thatthe more I tried different equipment, the more I had choices. Some of the equipment I tried was really bad and of course the decision was easy. I however never found any piece of equipment that stood up vs all the others, everything had pluses and minuses so at the end the choice was quite difficult.

Now the reason why I want to buy my equipment now rather than later is becasue I want to complete my certification exercices and dives in the equipment I would later dive in. I think this approach allows me to get extremely familiar with my equipment in a very safe environment and with an instructor.

I should have given some of these details when I first asked for some advice. Looking fwd to some more comments.
Is this a great place or what?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom