Gear - carry on vs checked?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Which gear do you carry on and which do you check?

For me, the regulator+computer and my prescription mask go in a carry on, and anything else would be checked.

For my next trip, I'm doing that and the only gear in my check bag will be fins. I'm renting a BC at my destination, as I don't like my current (non-travel) BC anyway.

What do you pack where, and why?

Almost the same as you. I use to carry all my gear on but now it's the bc and fins in the suitcase along with my shortie. My favorite mask, computer, and regs all go in my carry-on. I also will generally carry my dive light in my carry-on as well.

Mask and computer in carry-on. Everything else is rentable and usable if necessary. I'd carry-on my wetsuit too if I had room, but my photo stuff I'd rather carry than check.

Do be aware of some battery restrictions in carry-on and checked, and that not all nations follow the TSA rules.

Reactions: Doc
My 2 carry on are my "computer bag" which also has our dive computers and compares. The other is my UW DLSR camera.

My wife carries her "shoulder bag" which is used for her purse and many snacks. Her other carry on is a roller bag that has the scooter battery and usually our can lights and batteries.

We take 4 checked bags. 2 bags are basically mirrors with BP/W, Fins, Regs, Masks, Suits and other assorted dive gear. The in the other bags 1 holds the scooter tail, 1 holds the scooter nose. Clothes get packed around it all.

Make sure any lithium battery is in your carry on.

I carry everything on. Fins, masks, computers, regs, rebreather....and check my clothes. As long as I can dive, I'll wear the same clothes until they find my bag....I'll just wait underwater :)

One mask each, regs, lights, and computers in carry-on. Check everything else.

Mask, reg, computers, light, camera, electronics all go carry on, with one change of clothes.

But, my gf checks all of her gear.
This did not work out so well on our trip to Siladen, Indonesia a couple weeks ago though.
Her checked luggage never made it to Indonesia, at all.

Thank you for nothing, United.

Luckily for us, this last Sat, on the way home I located her bag at unclaimed baggage at Changi airport in Singapore, but the rental gear available at Siladen, though quite adequate, was a far cry from her Halcyon travel BP/W. She only did 2 dives, though that can not be all blamed on the lack of her gear, as her back surgery had to be postponed until after the trip, and she was a hurtin unit.

If I'm going someplace warm and I know rental gear is readily available, I'll carry on my mask (because it's prescription), my computer (because I already know how to use it), and a dive skin (because it packs small and doesn't weigh anything). Beyond that I'll carry on dive gear if necessary to reduce checked bag weight starting with regs. If I'm going someplace with lots of shorediving, I'll carry on my hard soled dive boots. Even if my fins don't make it and I can only rent full foot fins, I can put them on in the water after I enter in my boots (I had that happen to me on one trip).

My last trip, I had to either give up my scuba tool at security, or go back to the check-in place & put it in checked baggage (I gave it up); they would not let me on the plan with a 'tool' in carry on baggage.

On the other hand, be sure not to try to get a knife through security in carry on baggage.

Otherwise, for me, mask, computers & digital camera gear, that's the main carry on stuff. Otherwise mostly check the gear.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom