Gear line configurations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kingprawn

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have some good gear line rigs they want to show off. I’m looking to assemble one, but can not find any good guidelines.

I want to hang a line over the boat railing, then when I return from a dive hang some gear on it to reduce weight/obstruction when exiting. I’ve seen a few guys use these, but did not get a good look at the construction.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My boat has a boarding ladder that can be placed admidships on either side. I normally use a 3/8 braided nylon rope with figure eight knots on both ends with the rope through the ring on a suicide snap on each end (the only place I recommend using them.) The snap can be clipped to a D-ring or the rope passed around a shoulder strap or finstrap and then clipped back onto the rope. They are also easy for divers to manage at the end of a dive with cold hands.
I make the line long enough to leave about 3 to 4 ft in the water to accomodate any rocking on the boat and to allow enough slack for divers to work with the line.

For hanging things like saftey tanks, I will use 3/8 or 7/16 braided nylon with the same figure 8 knots but with locking carabiners instead. Suicide snaps can come open if the gates are twisted against something.

I dive off a 14' Avon RIB so gear lines are a must. Over the years the best design has evolved to handle the variety of configurations that my buddies and I have on any given day. (IE. weight integrated BC or non integrated and a weight belt / harness, camera gear etc) I use a 15 foot multi stranded nylon rope with the end looped back into itself to form a loop with 6 to 8 inches inside length. This allows the rope to be looped through itself and secured to the boat. On the submerged end I use a 2" stainless spring clip to which I attatch the BC when getting out of the water. Then starting at 18" up the line every 6 inches I weave in a closed loop, usually having about 4 per line. These serve as clipping off points for the other gear and are easily used with standard brass slide clips. :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom